Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Exhaust System Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics-57/)
-   -   Oil pressure bypass spring (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics/274663-oil-pressure-bypass-spring.html)

stevet82002 09-07-2008 02:28 AM

Oil pressure bypass spring

I got my SG back last weekend. I'm running a new Jims 131". I previously had a Jims 120" in this bike. Only 1400 miles on the new motor. She's still pretty tight. I had overheating problems and very low oil pressure at idle and low oil pressure cruising at 2500 rpm during rides in 100 deg air temps. Here's what my wrench did. They pulled and checked the Jims billet cam support plate, especially the bypass relief spring, lifters, and pushrods. The spring was a little short so he replaced it. He also cleaned a little varnish like substance out of the relief spring bore.

Before and after removal of the removal of the support plate he tested the oil circuit with the Fueling air pressure tester. If I understood the test correctly, there was a leak in the relief valve before removal, but after the new spring, the valve released cleanly at about 50 lbs.
Also, to be very sure of oil temps and pressures, he replaced oil pressure sending unit and gauge on the dash, and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Then he got rid of that worthles air temp gauge and replaced it with an oil temp gauge and I also have a digital oil temp cap on the oil tank. BTW we have always had the premium HD oil cooler on the bike. Temp and pressure both improved on the 120 mile ride home in 95-100 deg Texas heat.

Today, I changed the oil from that weak Syn 3 to Amsoil Straight 60w Racing oil. It seems to hold pressure better at idle and it is keeping temps down to reasonable levels. For now my motor is under 1 year warranty thru Jims, but I sure would like to put a Baisley #2 relief spring in. I will wait till I'm out of warranty. The motor is rippin fast. So we will see. Captn Al, if your out there I would like to know how your spring upgrade goes.

Thanks,
Steve

wyominggeezerglider 09-09-2008 05:18 PM

I have had semi-low oil pressure for most of past year on my '06 FLHTCUI. Last week I pulled bypass spring, valve was free, no gunk. Streatched spring less than 1/4", reinstalled. 700 mile round trip to Denver oil pressure 32psi @ 80mph, around 15 @ idle. Ordered Baisley LMR-002 Monday morning. Install this weekend.

stevet82002 09-09-2008 08:02 PM

Wyo, Please let me know how the #2 Baisley works.
thanks
Steve

wyominggeezerglider 09-14-2008 10:35 PM

Steve,
Installed new Baisley spring Saturday morning, took less than 2 hours. Worst thing was getting the front pipes off. Anyway, cold and raining Saturday so we waited until today to go over to the Black Hills. Ay 3200 rpm, 34+ psi. At 2000 rpm, around 20+. Idle, about 15, all good. Best 2 hours and $12 ever spent. Look em up at www.baisley.com
wyoming geezer

Neil 09-15-2008 04:06 PM

I am running into low pressure issues myself now. Do you have to pull the cam plate out or can you replace/check the spring with the plate still mounted to the motor?

Thanks,
Neil
RDMC

wyominggeezerglider 09-16-2008 05:28 AM

No, the only thing you have to do is (1) remove the front pipe, (2) femove the right floorboard, leave the mounts, (3) take off the cam cover, knock out the 1/8" rool pin that holds the spring, grab the spring with a thin pair of needle nose pliers, screw (CW) the spring past the cam tensioner spring anchor. Full instructions are included with the Baisley spring. Get the 15%, pretty sure the 30% spring would be too much unless you have a lot of upgrades.

Neil 09-16-2008 03:40 PM

Thanks. Ordered a spring today. With any luck it will take care of the inconsistant pressure readings I have been having. When you had issues what were they? Right now I have reading that seem to be all over the place. Things will read fine, yet after slowing down the pressure won't go back to were it was. My feeling now is maybe the spring is sticking; not uncommon I know. My fear is that the cam shoes are falling apart and killing my pump. I am begining to think that is not as likely because I do see normal pressue reading most times. It is getting to be a real PITA.

Thanks!
Neil
RDMC

HDWRENCH 09-16-2008 06:55 PM

AS for oil I would give the torco straight 50 wt oil a try. You will not be disappointed.

Cruisin1966 09-16-2008 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by HDWRENCH (Post 3877786)
AS for oil I would give the torco straight 50 wt oil a try. You will not be disappointed.

I'm about to, thanks. ;)

Clayton

stevet82002 09-30-2008 06:37 PM

Wow, its nice to see some replies. I am in Houston and was without power for 16 days. Just got the Internet back workin yesterday.