Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC Cam upgrade, 204 or 211?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey Trav just did the 251 in a similar set up,it does Rock! The card that came with the cam indicated that this particular cam was made by Comp Cams however.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleB
II stuck with SE becuase I wanted to keep my warranty alive.
The installing dealer may warranty it, but if your 1200 miles from home and something in the engine takes a dump your more than likely sunk with the dealer who fixes it while on the road. So in essence your warranty is till alive with your dealer and pretty much sunk with any other dealer unless they take pitty.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
The installing dealer may warranty it, but if your 1200 miles from home and something in the engine takes a dump your more than likely sunk with the dealer who fixes it while on the road. So in essence your warranty is till alive with your dealer and pretty much sunk with any other dealer unless they take pitty.
+1

I really dont hear of bikes grenading from aftermaret builds, and probably happens less than that of HD builds. The warranty is a piece of paper that if stranded out in the sticks without toilet paper might come in handy.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
TripleB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously I have made an assumption or two about the warranty. When I said keep my warranty alive I meant my factory warranty, I still have three years on it. The dealer I went to told me my warranty would still be good. Now I am not so sure unless I take it to him, I have to ask.

I just rode home from work about 36 degrees out, the pull is perfect. I am pretty sure they only way I could be happier is if I just buy a bike with 110 ci motor. Not worth spending more money on this one.

Like I mentioned before in a couple three years I will buy a SE touring bike or maybe keep the 06 RK and buy a custom big engine bike.

My buddy just bought a 03 chopper with S&S 96ci for $9500, only 2300 miles. Now he has a Fat Boy, Rode Glyde and chopper. He traded a Buell for the chopper.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 AM
skyhook
Tourer

I like the 204...early intake close, lots of duration/overlap, intake lobe is advanced...203 is a smog cam

if you buy a screamin' eagle bike, you'd better change cams and have it tuned correctly BEFORE you ride it

harley cannot sell you a decently tuned bike due to epa restraints...if you want performance, be prepared to fix it on your own dime...like someone else said, the warranty is really useless

Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TripleB
Obviously I have made an assumption or two about the warranty. When I said keep my warranty alive I meant my factory warranty, I still have three years on it. The dealer I went to told me my warranty would still be good. Now I am not so sure unless I take it to him, I have to ask.

I just rode home from work about 36 degrees out, the pull is perfect. I am pretty sure they only way I could be happier is if I just buy a bike with 110 ci motor. Not worth spending more money on this one.

Like I mentioned before in a couple three years I will buy a SE touring bike or maybe keep the 06 RK and buy a custom big engine bike.
When I did the build on my bike it was still under warranty, I decided I wasn't going to worry about it. I almost bought a new SE bike back in 06 when I bought my Ultra, I then revisited it in 07 & 08. I decided I would rather have my bike the way I have it rather than buying a SE bike and starting from scratch. You could always take the RK and go bigger with it vs buying a SE bike. In the end your going to have less money in it and if you choose the right build your going to be able to spank the SE bike.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Although their numbers sound "close", the 203, 204 and 211 are all totally different grinds.
If you look at the cam charts, the SE 204 is almost exactly the same cam as the Andrews 37B, with the difference being the 4 degree advance with the 204.
The reason the 204 is so effective is the cam raises the static compression with the advanced degree. Tons of power everywhere when mated to a 9.4 to 1 ratio. It's the perfect cam for a 95" build. Add head work and you will be very impressed. Your numbers will come very close to the magic 100/100 with the right head work, and the power will be stout across the entire RPM band..
Do NOT use high compression pistions with the 204. It will give you too much static compression and may result in uncontrollable pre-ignition.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
my06NT
Cruiser

went to my dealer to ask about some upgrade ideas, and this is what they worked up for me: 95 upgrade with SE domed pistons to increase compression to 10.5:1, 211 cams, SERT, D&D fatcat exhaust. Told me this would get me the best performance for the money, without having to have new heads or compression releases. Only hang up is the 3 grand price tag. thoughts?Mike.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
txtec
Banned

do it yourself,have your cyls.bored,by parts from zannotis, about 1500

Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by my06NT
went to my dealer to ask about some upgrade ideas, and this is what they worked up for me: 95 upgrade with SE domed pistons to increase compression to 10.5:1, 211 cams, SERT, D&D fatcat exhaust. Told me this would get me the best performance for the money, without having to have new heads or compression releases. Only hang up is the 3 grand price tag. thoughts?Mike.
Sounds a bit stiff to me. 1st figure out your expectations and riding style and then I'd do it myself using better stuff than what the dealer wants to use. Riding a bagger I'd check out a HQ package and get much more bang for your buck. I see you have the SE slip on's, if there the old ones that they discontinued you could keep them and still make some decent numbers. Pick up a TTS vs the new style SERT which I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the tail end with.

Quick Reply: TC Cam upgrade, 204 or 211?