Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SE I's or SE II Exhausts for '05 Ultra??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 12:45 PM
RickieH
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE I's or SE II Exhausts for '05 Ultra??

I just brought home my new '05 Ultra this weekend. The dealer installed the Hi Flow Kit 29773-02A, remapped the ECM and installed SE exhausts 65115-98B with end caps before I took delivery. The online downloadable Screaming Eagle Parts Catalogue refers to these exhausts simply as "Screaming Eagle Pro Performance Mufflers". But I have heard many of you comment about the Touring exhausts as SE I's (being the quieter) and SE II's (being the louder) pipes, but I see no reference at all in the catalogue to SE II exhausts in the online catalogue for Touring bikes (for other Harley models I can see them).

I also see in the big printed Harley catalogue Screaming Eagle section a listing for Harley Davidson Touring Mufflers 65259-00, but no reference to SE I's or SE II's there either.

So my question is simply "what the heck did my dealer install on my Ultra??? SE I's or SE II's? The sides of the exhausts themselves are stamped simply "Screaming Eagle"

They seem to sound OK.

Thanks

Rick

[IMG]local://upfiles/1772/002B5F0CD9C847479ADBE3ED41106BEE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: SE I's or SE II Exhausts for '05 Ultra??

It sounds like you got the SE 1's. My SE II's are clearly marked "Screamin eagle II" on them and they are fairly loud.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:41 PM
greenbayhog
Cruiser

So here is the deal on the SEIIs and SEIs. If you ordered your pipes from the harley catalog you got the SEIs, They are supposed to be identical in performance and sound to stock pipes with a different look. If you want the SEIIs you need to go under the racing section of the HD website and click on the SE link. Here you can download a catalog with the SEIIs. I almost ordered the wrong pipes myself on my fatty before the guys on this forum strightened me out. Its pretty confusing. The SEIIs clearly have that stamped on the muffler.
In my opinion they sound good with out being too loud. As far a performance goes I cant really tell a difference. Im not making jack rabbit starts. From what I hear you do get a little bit of hp and tq gain.
Hope that clears up your question. I had the same problem. These guys on here really know thier stuff and love helping out guys like me who dont know a whole lot.
GBH

Old 04-03-2005, 10:18 PM
snowsnyper
Novice

I was following your discussion and went to the SE web site you suggested and only found SE Pro, part no. 64903-99. Did they replace the SEII with the pro's? There was not listing for the SEII.

I am looking for slip ons with a lower rumble and sound. Don't want to go back to stock. I have the Wild Pigs on right now. After a couple of hundred miles traveling at about 70 mph I get a pounding head ache. If theres not much difference between the WP and the SE maybe I just get ear plugs. lol

Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim

Old 04-04-2005, 12:20 AM
RickieH
5th Gear

The number you found 64903-99 is the one - piece SE Performance Muffler. My pipes are also SE Performance Mufflers #65115-98B because they require end caps ordered separately. I also could find no listing for SE II's (unless these pipes ARE the SE II's). It sure would be great if someone out there could give us the part number for Touring SE I's and Touring SE II's to clear up this confusion.

I can't comment on noise levels between SE I's, SE II's compared to your Wild Pigs as I've only had my Ultra for a couple of days and have nothing to compare them to.

Good Luck

Rick

Old 04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
greenbayhog
Cruiser

Ok, here is what I am thinking. I believe that the screaming eagle touring mufflers you ordered through the SE cat. are the equivelent to the SEIIs for the other models. The touring mufflers available through the HD cat. are "street legal" the ones in the SE cat are for "racing only" I assume that "race only" is due to the increase in emissons and noise created from a free flowing muffler. As far as noise I have the SEIIs for my fatty and by no means are they too loud. I think they are perfect mid range noise level. I hope this helps I am new to this as well but did quite a bit of research when looking for pipes for the ol fatboy. Let us know how you make out. If I am wrong in any of this please tell me so I dont continue to make a bigger jackass out of myslef
GBH

Old 04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
RickieH
5th Gear

Thanks Greenbayhog,

I'm beginning to think you're absolutely right - that the HD Touring mufflers in the printed HD catalogue are the SE I's and the SE Performance mufflers in the Adobe downloaded SE catalogue (Touring Exhaust section) are the SE II's even though HD doesn't refer to them as that.

I guess I'll leave it at that unless anyone else can confirm.

Rick

Old 04-04-2005, 04:45 PM
wild1
Cruiser

The SE I's and II's are for non touring bikes where the exhaust is on the right side. The touring bikes just have the one exhaust from SE.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
RickieH
5th Gear

I'm beginning to think that you're right wild1 and there are no Touring SE II mufflers.

So how many posts have I read from Touring riders saying they love their SE II's because they think the SE I's are too quiet? I'm stilll confused, but thanks to all for the information.

Rick

Old 04-15-2005, 08:03 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These are the ones I got for my RKC. They are stamped "For Racing Only". They have a nice rumble at idle, quiet while cruising, but get on the throttle and "Brrrrraaaaappppp" they really rip. Coupled with a Stage 1 upgrade and it's really a whole new bike!

BTW, these are, I think, what is referred to here as the SEII for touring bikes.

SE one piece slash downs

Quick Reply: SE I's or SE II Exhausts for '05 Ultra??