Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

My Vance & Hines Installation Experience with Tips and Questions

Old 05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
CoffeeGuy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Vance & Hines Installation Experience with Tips and Questions

Trying to give something back to the forum. Describing my experience installing a set of Vance & Hines straight shot slip-ons with the “quiet baffles” on my ’09 XL1200C. I hope it will help other newbies. If you’re a “prospect” or above, feel free to laugh, flame, whatever. I’m thick skinned. The punch line is down under #9 if you want to skip ahead for a good laugh. Apologies in advance for the long post.

My goal was simply to improve the sound, not improve performance. I didn’t like the “tinny” sound of the stock exhaust.

Elapsed time, approximately 3 hours.
My mechanical skill level – none. But I’m not an idiot either. Or maybe I am.

Lessons learned and tips
1. Read the instructions front to back before starting, including the bits about cleaning the pipes thoroughly before starting her up. I used windshield glass cleaner, which seemed to work really well.

2. Get a couple new crossover gaskets. I re-used the original ones; not sure that was a good idea. I believe it altered the installation angle of the front pipe; see below.

3. Take the stock heat shields off completely. Remove two of the hose clamps, and use those to hold the clamp bolt on the rear head pipe and the two muffler clamps up away from the area where you’re removing the mufflers. I fought those damn clamps all afternoon.

4. Liquid wrench is your friend. I only have about 1000 miles, and those frucken mufflers were on there pretty damn solid. After using a screwdriver and a hammer to pry the flanges loose, I finally got smart and soaked em in liquid wrench. Still; removing those was the hardest part. Be sure to remove all the liquid wrench before starting her up; it seems to have burned itself onto the pipes after my first ride.

5. Wrap the V&H heat shields in tape or something that will protect them while you’re installing them.

6. Ok – feel free to laugh, but it took me a few minutes to realize I had to remove the stock V&H baffles to insert the “quiet” baffles. Once I tapped out the stock ones with a screw driver, installing the “quiet” baffles was simple. I left the gauze on them with the tape; not sure if that was right.

7. Installing the V&H was straight forward, except for lining up the crossovers. I think I had trouble because I tried to re-use the old gaskets, so the front muffler didn’t quite sit in the female part of the crossover correctly. This means the front pipe was slightly off alignment. Also, it was difficult to insert the V&H muffler on the head pipes. I recommend looking for some kind of lube. After a quick search of the forum, anti-seize seems to be a popular recommendation.

8. Installing the V&H heat shields was easy. I recommend not attaching the hose clamp on the front pre-installation to make sliding the heat shields on easier. Then just slip the hose clamp in the hose clamp bracket and around the muffler.

9. I believe that the front exhaust being slightly off alignment made it so the heat shield would not slip over the small hex screw that holds the baffle in; the heat shield was held up by the mounting bar. This caused my fatal mistake; I removed the hex screw holding in the baffle, so the heat shield would install. What can I say, I was anxious to ride.

When I started the bike up, the exhaust sounded awesome; low rumble, loud (for my neighborhood). “Quiet” baffle my a$$. Along the ride, though, I noticed the following:
• Some engine hesitation when I gave it gas
• Loud enough to make me want ear plugs
• What sounded like a backfire towards the end of the ride.

Here is the punch line; when I looked at the bike this morning, the baffle in the front pipe (the one from which I removed the hex screw) was missing. WTF? – I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I just wish I knew at what point in the ride the baffle came out. Before noticing this, I had removed the V&H and was preparing them for ebay. They’re just too loud; what can I say. Lots of new babies in my neighborhood.

Right now I don’t know what to think; are the pipes too loud, or is the missing baffle the culprit.? If the baffle came out right away, maybe this is the case. I drove my route, but trying to find the baffle was impossible.

Anyone else ever had a baffle come out? Or am I the only dumba$$ to have that happen to them?

Thanks for reading.

-John

Last edited by CoffeeGuy; 05-04-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
amp3824
Novice

John - I too just removed my new V&H with quiet baffles -- too loud, and I don't like the sound. Glad I'm not the only one who reversed course. Here it took only two days. One day to try with standard baffles, and one day to try with quiet baffles.

I tried to like them. It just wasn't working.

These were Big Shots staggered chrome BTW.

Now I'm looking for an exhaust with the same style but with stock Harley sound (but louder).

I found Bub Seven makes "Straight Aways" which look identical to the Big Shots. Not sure what they sound like though. Not quite ready to drop more $ just to find out I don't like them again...

Old 05-03-2009, 05:37 PM
CoffeeGuy
Advanced

I've been searching high and low for a good sound, yet not too loud. I've searched and read many forums, listened to tons of videos on youtube, talked to the guys at Mile-High Harley... I also don't want to spend tons of dough. Guys at the dealer said Bub's are loud. Cycle shack are loud. V&H are loud. I'm likely going to try the SEs next; but you're right - how to break the buy, try, ebay cycle is a tough one. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 PM
amp3824
Novice
Default Search goes on

CoffeeGuy -- well after another round of reinstall/deinstall the V&H Big Shots, I'm back to square one. Bike is stock again, except for the Power Commander to richen the mix and cool things down.

I think you're right about the Bubs - everything I've read about Bubs seems to be race/performance oriented which makes me think loud.

After going through two full install/deinstall cycles I'm convinced I'll leave things stock until I find the right pipes. At this point I'd prefer to go with slip ons for ease of installation, not messsing with the head pipes, flanges, gaskets, etc. With my luck I'd strip a stud or something.

Considering V&H Straight Shots slip-ons or SE slip-ons at this point. I think that's about it for options. I'm determined to listen to it "for real" before committing, since youtube sound depends on recorder's characteristics and a slew of other variables.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

After listening to a bunch of other pipes, I still have my 2" rush on that I put on at the 1k service.. the cams (done at 16k) did make them deeper and a little louder but now I can hear each piston firing. Just nothing I've heard that I like better. Not too loud and great note...
I know there not the best in performance but better than stock, they are mild sounding when putting around and light acceleration, but sound off when you roll it on..
Can keep them down or make em loud by the right hand.
Wife and I talk easy to each other and they have a really good deep glass pack sound to them.

Last edited by oct1949; 05-15-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
amp3824
Novice
Default Will V&H end caps fit Straight Shots?

Anyone know if V&H end caps (made for Big Shots) will fit V&H Straight Shot slip-ons, even if I have to drill my own hole? It's all the same outside diameter, but I don't have Straight Shots here to test fit. I can't find anything on the end cap info saying they'll fit straight shots but sure would like to make it work.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:50 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Too funny that you lost the baffle. That's how I learn too. If you want quieter than V and H I suggest the Screaming eagle slip on's. The old lady had screaming eagle slip ons on her sporty and they were much quieter than the vance and hiens that are on there now.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 AM
amp3824
Novice

Got the slash-cut end tips to fit the V&H Straight Shots slip-ons. It required cutting off about a half inch of the tube on the tips that fits into the back end of the muffler -- otherwise the tips hit the end of the baffle without seating all the way in. I used a Dremel tool with carbide cutting tip. The wall on the tips is pretty thick so it took some effort. On the Big Shots Staggered pipes there's a set screw that goes through the heat shield and into the tips to secure them onto the ends of the pipes. This hole doesn't exist on the Straight Shots so I simply drilled my own -- one on each heat shield. The outer diameters of the tips matches that of the pipes perfectly. End result: Straight Shots with slash-cut tips, perfect fit. I think it looks better than the flat-cut Straight Shots.

Attached Thumbnails My Vance & Hines Installation Experience with Tips and Questions-photo-6-.jpg  

Last edited by amp3824; 05-24-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
ironman_sg
Advanced

did u guys have to remove the pipes completely off the bike when installing new baffles? or u could just loosen the heat shields to remove the bolt which holds the baffles?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
CIB1Infantry
Cruiser

Ironman,
I just changed baffles yesterday and you don't have to take the pipes off, just the screw holding the tip and then the screw holding the baffle.
Then you get to struggle to get the old baffle out!

Last edited by CIB1Infantry; 09-17-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Vance & Hines Installation Experience with Tips and Questions