Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil cooler adapter - oxygen sensor clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Oil cooler adapter - oxygen sensor clearance issue

Looking for some advice...I have a 2007 Ultra and it gets really hot during summer rides in the city. I wanted to put on an oil cooler but can't get the adapter on that goes between the oil filter and the engine because there is interferece with the oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe.

Note that I have Rinehart exhaust and am running a Zipper's Thundermax EFI tuner with autotune...this means I have aftermarket (longer-than-stock) Oxygen sensors.

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm thinking maybe I could either relocate the oxygen sensor mount in the exhaust, or put in some kind of angled oxygen sensor mount. Can someone tell me how hard this would be and what is involved?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem when I had my Cobra exhaust. The O2 bungs were at a right angle to the header. I've since swapped my exhaust to the V&H BSS and those bungs angle up such that they run parallel to the oil filter when installed - up and out of the way.

Mark

Old 01-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Far 3ast
Tourer

Thanks for the response. don't really want to swap my exhaust just to fit an oil cooler...hoping someone can tell me how hard it is to relocate O2 sensor bungs, and what that entails.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked at Jaggs? They have a thermostat controlled adapter, also a anti- rotation thing.
I guess I need to go look at the thing, I didn't have any trouble when I put it on last year.

the fix is welding on new bungs, plugging to old.
using a different tuner setup.
different exhaust

Last edited by Old Gunny; 01-22-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep,

Rineharts will have the O2 sensor hitting the cooler adapter, encountered it on my 07 when I was running it as a 103" and tuning with the DDT, which is also wide band.

Quick fix is to remove the pipe, and sensor and shields. Find a piece of rod the right diameter and thread it to fit in the bung. Heat the pipe immediately around the bung and very lightly push on the rod, essentailly angling the bung slightly. Do not overheat, and do not overbend, you only need a couple of degrees to clear the cooler adapter.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dalton
Yep,

Rineharts will have the O2 sensor hitting the cooler adapter, encountered it on my 07 when I was running it as a 103" and tuning with the DDT, which is also wide band.

Quick fix is to remove the pipe, and sensor and shields. Find a piece of rod the right diameter and thread it to fit in the bung. Heat the pipe immediately around the bung and very lightly push on the rod, essentailly angling the bung slightly. Do not overheat, and do not overbend, you only need a couple of degrees to clear the cooler adapter.
That sounds like a pretty good plan...i'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are some good guys here for sure.