Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

pump up lifters

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD lifters should be changed every 25K. Many get by with more miles. I know several that did not. Even S&S recommends this interval.
There is no requirement or suggestion to "pump up" lifters prior to installing.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
Damn, I think you could spin the rear wheel forever by hand before you would get them completely pumped up! You can also leave the spark plugs out, and crank the engine over with the starter in short bursts not only to pump up the lifters, but if a new build, to prime all of the oil galleys, get the filter full and to have an easier start.

I find no difference in adjusting primed or not primed lifters, zero lash is zero lash, and all adjustments are made from that point.
For the record there IS a difference in adjusting pushrods with lifters that are pumped up as opposed to dry. with pumped up lifters you have to adjust the pushrods on one cylinder then wait usually 10-15 min for them to bleed down to where you can spin the pushrod by hand, then rotate engine to low lobe on rear and repeat. with dry lifters theres no waiting for the lifter to bleed down. you adjust then spin and repeat.

When i install new lifters i just coat them with oil, insert them, pour a little oil in from the top, then adjust pushrods. once everything is done and buttoned back up remove spark plugs and crank engine over for about 15 sec a couple times. then start the bike and let idle for several minutes. then cut the bike off, and wait about 10 min. Restart and after about a minute they will be pumped up.

Whatever you do, dont listen to the H-D service manual. It states that the lifters can take a "few miles of riding" to pump up. i dont know about you but im not going to ride a bike and run it through the gears with dry lifters.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your doing right.

I put in S&S travel limiters.

After doing that not a lot of, "pumping", you can do.

S&S says to do what you said, get a lot of oil onto everything and take it very easy for a little while, after adjusting. I just puttered around the street a little, idleing really.
They come on up in a couple minutes.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:44 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnert
HD lifters should be changed every 25K. Many get by with more miles. I know several that did not. Even S&S recommends this interval.
There is no requirement or suggestion to "pump up" lifters prior to installing.
Really? Change the lifters every 25k miles? That seems a bit ridiculous, they should last longer than that.