Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Performance / Cam Upgrade Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Philly76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance / Cam Upgrade Question?

I have been reading articles in this forum for quite a while as a guest and finally decided to join. Have ridden for years and purchased a new Harley 2009 FLHRC a few months ago - phenomenal!

My question - have been looking to add power across the entire powerband. I ride average (a bit local and long distance) and am what I would consider easy on the bike. One HD dealer recommended the 103 SE Stage II Kit with 255 Cam (minus pipes, air and tuner - already installed). Went to another HD dealer that was passionate about getting more for my dollar and going with the Head-Quarters HQ-TC-500-HC Hurricane cam and push rods.

Looking for some help with this power issue. Has anyone used any Head-Quarter cams? Concerned about reliability as this on paper voids the rest of my two year HD warranty.

Appreaciate any help and ride safe.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
jad
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed S&S 570G cams in my Road Glide. It had the 255 cams stock as it’s a Sreamin Eagle 110 ci.
I am finding out that the largest hold back any Harley engine has is the heads. Donny Petersen’s second book has some great info on cams and head porting. He as many others agree that the best bang for the money is porting the heads. They need to be done correctly however. If they’re done poorly you can actually decrease power.
The cams I installed merely moved the peak torque range. Cams come in low, mid and high range. Mine are mid range developing max torque at 3700 rpm.
I found out after I installed the cams that they actually need more compression to run efficiently.
I do not even imagine I understand everything I know now about cams, compression and porting. I’m just sharing where my journeys lead me.
I believe you should look at doing the heads if you’re looking for the best bang for your dollar.
You will need to find a good dyno man to complete your setup.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

ide do a 103" kit, stage II heads,with .040 off the heads & S&S .570`s.very nice combination for a well behaved,good torque & HP motor
kirby

Last edited by Shovelhead Bob; 10-19-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Unauthorized Advertising
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 AM
caper
Cruiser

Sounds like to me a bolt in cam like the Andrews 21or 26 might be the ticket for you, both will give you a good boost in Tq in a useable RPM range where most people ride( low and midrange)Both cams intake close earlier than stock,30* on the 21...35* on the 26 so they start building torque earlier than stock no headwork or compression bump necessary

Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly76
Went to another HD dealer that was passionate about getting more for my dollar and going with the Head-Quarters HQ-TC-500-HC Hurricane cam and push rods.

Looking for some help with this power issue. Has anyone used any Head-Quarter cams?
Yep, Have run HQ for some time now and no reliability issues. Listen to your dealer, in this case they correct!

And, the 500 is a great bolt in, with no other mods, an appreciable gain is still obtained. If you do want to go to 103/107, HQ also has full kits available.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Philly76
Cruiser

Thank you all for the return posts. Could not agree more that quality work and a strong Dyno guy are a must. Also, appreciate the feedback on other modifications beyond the cam. I am keeping a list so that if and when, I have an idea where to go. Right now, just looking for a relative easy mod to give more kick - still thinking just cam and push rods.

Is any one company (HQ, Andrews, S&S, HD...) known for having the best Cams, or is this a personal preference like most other things?

Ride Safe

Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

as for as grinds,its up to what your looking for,as far as quality,ANDREWS,and they acully make cams for just about everybody(S&S,WOODS,HEADQUARTERS ithink REDSHIFT and most of the other cam co.`s)
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The HQ stuff is good but is really a package. They will tell you that you will not get the results that HQ publishes unless you use one of their packages. Caper's advice is good, either of the Andrews cams he proposes will work well with the heavier FL models. If you ride two up and loaded, probaby the 21 but if mostly solo riding, the 26. The upgrade is a bolt in deal and wont' break the bank. You have the option of retaining your stock pushrods or changing to adjustables. I will proably catch some flak for saying this but if you don't plan on changing cams again in the near future, keep the stockers. If you do go with adjustables, stay away from the newer SE tapered units (PN 18404-08); llook at Andrews or Smith Brothers. Just for ***** and giggles, install new lifters with new cams; not an absolute but good practice; the H-D "B" lifters are fine (PN 18538-99B). While you are in the cam chest, you might consider changing the inner cam bearings to the Torrington bearings.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The HQ stuff is good but is really a package. They will tell you that you will not get the results that HQ publishes unless you use one of their packages. Caper's advice is good, either of the Andrews cams he proposes will work well with the heavier FL models. If you ride two up and loaded, probaby the 21 but if mostly solo riding, the 26. The upgrade is a bolt in deal and wont' break the bank. You have the option of retaining your stock pushrods or changing to adjustables. I will proably catch some flak for saying this but if you don't plan on changing cams again in the near future, keep the stockers. If you do go with adjustables, stay away from the newer SE tapered units (PN 18404-08); llook at Andrews or Smith Brothers. Just for ***** and giggles, install new lifters with new cams; not an absolute but good practice; the H-D "B" lifters are fine (PN 18538-99B). While you are in the cam chest, you might consider changing the inner cam bearings to the Torrington bearings.
A question and a couple of comments djl.

When you recommend staying away from the HD tapered pushrods, this is the first I have heard of this. Have you heard of, or have first hand experience with problems?

As far as Headquarters saying you will not get the results unless you go with a complete package, that is true if doing a complete build, such as dont go with an S&S cam with the rest of the components being HQ. For a cam swap only, the HQ 500 or 525 cams are a real good choice for the newer baggers and will provide nice results on their own. The 500 will move the torque farther down in the rpm range than the 525. Kinda like the Andrews 21 and 26, it's all in the riding style, but again, they will do nicely.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Philly76
Cruiser

Wealth of knowledge all around, thank you all again.

Quick Reply: Performance / Cam Upgrade Question?