Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cams for a TC88

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:37 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cams for a TC88

Ok heres the deal. I want to keep my motor at 88 inches and try to get 90hp out of it. I dont know why I want to do it this way but for some reason I do. Well I have decided to change out my cams and I was thinking about S&S 510g's or Andrews 37's. Im sure there are pros and cons to each choice but keeping with an 88inch motor which one would give me more mid to upper rpm power? Also does anyone have any dyno sheets of an 88 inch motor with either of these cams installed?

Chris

Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cams for a TC88

I'm sure you may already know this, but as much as cams might add some power they will just change where the power you do have is delivered. I talked to a harley parts salesman the other day and if knowledge varies inversely with tooth loss he was a HD genius. Anyway, I asked him about switching cams and staying at 88 inches for now. He said not enough of a difference and to wait until I was ready for some more cu. inches

Old 07-10-2006, 01:46 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris....

It is possible to achieve your goal.

THe key is gonna be getting the compression ratio to the "sweet-spot" for the cams. I would not suggest exceeding 9.5:1 with the 37's or 9.7:1 with the 510's. If you do, you will be risking pinging.

If you could get your heads cleaned up (port/polish) and CR set to match the the cams, once properly tuned you'll have nice numbers. One other thing that might help would be a good 2 into 1 pipe (D&D, SuperTrapp, Bassani).

Let us know how it works out!

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link to Head Quarter's website. Their HQ-0034G cams are what I'm looking at when I do this same exact thing after my warranty runs out.

Check out this quote from their website -

" John’s Performance in Washington state gets 92.4 HP and 96.4 foot pounds of torque from a stock 88 cubic inch 2006 Street Glide using a Head Quarters HQ-0034 bolt in cam, Power Commander and Rhinehart Tru-Duals."

http://www.head-quarters.com/index.html

Kuryakyn Wild Thing TC-1G cams are another to think about. They seem to be making some very good numbers in a 88" motor.

Steve

Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Hughey79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the open house for JP Cycles a few weeks back and watched the dyno drags. There were two bikes that kurakyn had some bolt ons added. They were both newer super glides. The one had bolt in cams mentioned above and the power they made was incredible. Dont recall the exact numbers but the bike ran just over 9.5 quarter mile time.
I was impressed and it sounded awesome.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Nightrider.com and go into the tech section and look for the dyno listings. They should have dyno numbers for the mods your thinking about.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of 510G's in my 05 Ultra with 88 cubes, no headwork, SEII slip ons SE air cleaner and DFO, These cams pull very well but I have not had it on a dyno. I would reccomend these cams to anyone, power comes on strong at about 2800 to 3000 rpm and they work very well at cruising speeds also. I'm sure with a better tuner than the dfo I could get more out of it and will probably do so in the future.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:58 AM
apachethunder03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a dyno chart of my 03flht. Stock heads, pistons, cr. With 510g cams, 2-1 se pro pipe, hypercharger with stinger trap door.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: but Ill try 2 try

I'm sure you may already know this, but as much as cams might add some power they will just change where the power you do have is delivered. I talked to a harley parts salesman the other day and if knowledge varies inversely with tooth loss he was a HD genius. Anyway, I asked him about switching cams and staying at 88 inches for now. He said not enough of a difference and to wait until I was ready for some more cu. inches
It's according to what you're looking for. Your dealer is correct if you're looking for a lot of horsepower and torque at the upper end, but a different cam grind can help a stock 88 if you've got a heavy bike or like to tour. I have a stock 88 and installed Andrews 21N cams, which are designed for touring. It has a noticeable rise in low end torque starting at 1700 rpm. When the bike's in full touring trim, with wife aboard, this really makes riding in the mountains a joy -- fewer downshifting and I can ease along on a flat backroad at 45 mph in 5th gear. Pulls out strong even down at 55 to 60 mph in 5th. Idle's rougher due to the fact that the intake closes earlier than stock, which is what increases the cranking pressure which in turn increases torque. You wouldn't want to use this cam in a higher compression engine. Horsepower's nice, but it ain't everything. As you point out, it's matching the torque band you your style of riding that makes the difference.