Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Let's Talk Engines...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's Talk Engines...

This is something I was wondering today as I was riding my bike. Up until 2300 RPM, the motor sounds fine. Get past 2400 RPM, and the rattling and clattering starts. It does it under load, and is quieter (but still definitely there) at coasting.

What's changes in the engine between 2300 and 2400 RPM to bring this on? My tuner doesn't add any timing to the original Harley map. Oil pressure would come up a little more. Engine turns another 100 RPM faster...

I am at a loss to figure out why it is quiet below one engine speed, and noisy above. It is almost as if the bike says "Oh, 2400 RPM... start loosening up."

EDIT: 500th post!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM
06roadglide
Advanced

Could be harmonics starting. Could be valvetrain or maybe primary chain whipping around causing the compensator to rattle.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After much work trying to figure the same thing out I lean toward harmonics also.
Depends on all the things put into the valve train I am thinking.

Mine is whisper quiet at 2000RPM. Clatter builds at 2050 then goes mostly away at 2200 RPM. Comes on again around 3000 a little.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Is your engine stock??
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

What really helps me to understand what noises and engine makes is.......taking it apart and almost studying ever part and what it does and what it will do when in movement.

Think of all thats going on. From crank spinnin, to chains and tensioners spinning the cams, to lifters going up and down while pumping, to valve slamming open and shut under a ton of pressure...etc..not to even mention combustion...Add to that, the motor is open, not under a hood and about 3 inches from your nuts...lol

Whenever i change the oil in my wifes honda with a Vtec motor, i say to myself, this highly refined motor is louder than my 650 lift built harley...lol

Old 12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats right.
I have taken the top apart several times for one thing or another and I have looked very closely for and sigh of something and there is nothing to see.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

My night train has a rattle sound when you get on it hard that sounds like pinging. I dont think that it is because when I put the bike it a high gear and open it up I dont hear the sound. I think that it is the primary chain whipping because it only happens when going through the gears wot and when I took my primary cover off there are chain marks in the case. So the only thing I can think is that the noise is the chain is hitting the cover and making that noise.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
What really helps me to understand what noises and engine makes is.......taking it apart and almost studying ever part and what it does and what it will do when in movement.

Think of all thats going on. From crank spinnin, to chains and tensioners spinning the cams, to lifters going up and down while pumping, to valve slamming open and shut under a ton of pressure...etc..not to even mention combustion...Add to that, the motor is open, not under a hood and about 3 inches from your nuts...lol

Whenever i change the oil in my wifes honda with a Vtec motor, i say to myself, this highly refined motor is louder than my 650 lift built harley...lol

absoluty true

Last edited by SEDELUXE; 12-02-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

For the record... my motor is stock... for now. I am planning on changing over to geardrive cams. I have a Stage 1 A/C and Exhaust... w/ a PCIII USB with just fuel mapping.. no timing changes...

As for the primary chain... I was planning to change the engine oil tomorrow, but now I am going to do the primary as well, and check the chain adjustment. Another quart of 20w-50 and a new derby & inspection gasket.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Well, I did the oil change.... used 20w-50 in both the engine and primary. Primary chain was a little loose, but not enough to touch the chain case.

One thing that worries me a little. I saw some coppery colored flecks in the oil. Not big pieces, but more like powder. So that has me wondering... could be cam bushings, rocker bushings, or <gasp> rod bearings. I am not thinking rod bearings because you can get on it and you don't hear any knocking from the bottom end. All my noises are coming from the top end... and it seems to come more from the front cylinder, and more from the intake side.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Engines...