Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Added an Andrews 26H cam to the mix

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:02 AM
marty442
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added an Andrews 26H cam to the mix

I just replaced my SE211 cam with an Andrews 26H. Last month I replaced my V&H BSS pipes with a Fatcat 2 into 1 with quiet baffles. As you can tell, I'm trying to move the peak torque curve to the left where I do most of my riding. This is on a stock 96 inch 2007 Deluxe. Only other tweak is a high flow K&N filter. The attached shows a dyno run after the cam install and a dyno tune. The top line shows the 26H and you can see the increase in torque from idle to 3500 rpm. The bike feels stronger at low to mid rpm, plus the throttle response is excellent. My only question is whether I should be getting more out of this setup. I've seen some outrageous numbers from people with these cams and pipes (mid 90s to over 100), and wonder if my dyno tune left a little on the table. Anyone out there with this setup with better numbers, and willing to share their dyno charts and maps? I know the next step is a 103 kit with headwork, but I'm gonna wait till I get tired of this setup. That usually takes about 3 months.

Attached Thumbnails Added an Andrews 26H cam to the mix-tw26hcams.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I would agree that the numbers are a little disappointing. The TQs starst falling off before you hit 4000rpm and those cams should be hanging in to near 4500 with more TQ under the curve. Are you sure there is no sumping going on? Does the bike feel sluggish? Is it running hotter than usual? The only reason I ask is that after a cam change, sometimes the seal between the scavenge port and the oil pump or the oil pump alignment is FUBARd and overlooked as the cause for poor performance. I have never run those cams but have seen plenty of charts for 95" builds with mid90sHP and high 90sTQ with some breaking 100. 37 runs should have been enough to get her pretty close but, and I am not a tuner, seems to me you need to look at the AFR data close, something could be going on there.

If you are sure nothing else is going on look at compression. You are a little light on compression at about 9.0 and, like most cams, a little more compression will produce more TQ and also move the curve a little more to the left. About the only thing you can do would be to replace the stock head gaskets with a .030" Cometic which would raise your static CR to between 9.4 and 9.5 depending on actual deck height and chamber volume and about as much as you would want with those cams. The additional compression and tightening up the squish areas should improve things across the board. Worth the effort? Would a Saturday and $50 for gaskets, etc. be worth the potential to pick up an additional 10-12HP and 8-10TQ? Food for thought.