Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

case boring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

As per Axtell, the step boring process is adhered to, as per their specs, as it is THEIR cylinder kit.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hyPerhog
couldnt you just shorten the piston skirts and save a lot of time?
Case boring must be done when going beyond a 107 as you have to use larger diameter cylinders, thus the spigot, the part of the cylinder that goes into the block is larger OD.

When going to a very large displacement with a stroker crank, the piston skirts do get shorter due to longer stroke, and in some cases the rear piston skirt that faces to the front if cut to allow the front piston to "slide" thru it at BDC.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:15 PM
GONZO6
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyPerhog
case boring what all is done when you have that performed? i saw a piston kit that said must have case boring done? i need some schooling thanx in advance.

If you currently have a 103 Stage IV and want more, ya gotta go bigger.

IMO you really need to look at a 117+ motor and do it all at one time, and do it right.

If you can't budget it now, I'd suggest you ride the snot out of it now and save the coin til you can do it righteous.

Cheaper in the long run.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know, maybe I have been hanging around this place too long.

Someone poses a legitimate question, and it is obvious that he may be new to the world of engine building and performance. There are those that try to give answers to the question asked, and then there are those that try to tell the original poster that they won't be satified with this or that to go bigger, to wait until they have more coin, etc.

For others, I have done simple cam installs with no other performance work and they are completely satisfied.
Some have had 103's and 107's built, again perfectly satisfied. Without knowing the wants of they guy that asks the question, and his financial situation how can anyone tell him to build a 117, or a 120 or a 124 and on and on.

I try to answer the questions, give good advice and work within the wants and financial capabilities of the person asking the questions. There are many others here that do the same. I just don't get it when someone "tells" someone else what to do. Sorry for the rant but I guess cabin fever is getting the best of me.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
SLPER
Intermediate
Default Great Statement

Originally Posted by Dalton
I dont know, maybe I have been hanging around this place too long.

Someone poses a legitimate question, and it is obvious that he may be new to the world of engine building and performance. There are those that try to give answers to the question asked, and then there are those that try to tell the original poster that they won't be satified with this or that to go bigger, to wait until they have more coin, etc.

For others, I have done simple cam installs with no other performance work and they are completely satisfied.
Some have had 103's and 107's built, again perfectly satisfied. Without knowing the wants of they guy that asks the question, and his financial situation how can anyone tell him to build a 117, or a 120 or a 124 and on and on.

I try to answer the questions, give good advice and work within the wants and financial capabilities of the person asking the questions. There are many others here that do the same. I just don't get it when someone "tells" someone else what to do. Sorry for the rant but I guess cabin fever is getting the best of me.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
hyPerhog
Cruiser

thanks guys i feel very informed now about case boring and why. the only reason i ask the question in the first place was that i had ben looking at bigger cubic inch kits for my bike and was wondering how big i could really go without having to get machine work done. now that i know i will be planning a build for next winter. yes i will ride the snot outta my current config ;-0.... but will probably go with the 117-124 range done right ya know send my chunks out and yada yada.. but im in no hurry at all with riding season among us. thanks everyone got some good info everyone enjoy this riding season and watch out for those dam cagers....

Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

In following up at /near the end of this discussion, I will chime in one more time in saying that the financial difference between a 117" and a 124" is about $350.00.
Simple removal/replacement at home, and if/when you decide to make a move, and run into a snag, or need other questions answered, we are happy to help, anytime.
Scott