Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Evap, emissions canister removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
layne01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evap, emissions canister removal

Anyone here have any suggestions re:removing the canister? Just stripping **** from my bike. If I could get all this smog reg/carb off my bike, it'd be the better. I know what all these restrictive additions do to a car motor... can't be any less power robbing on a bike.
Layne

Old 05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Disconnect the rubber hoses from teh cannister and remove it from the bracket. That's it. Pull it off.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
djculver
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a newby here and glad I found the site! Some really good things posted on this site. I have a tech question that I hope I am posting to the correct thread. If not, feel free to tell me where I should post >>> Hey All! New to this forum and a re-newed rider. I picked up a '99 Fat Boy and after about three weeks of riding, I went to pull the choke (enrichment cable) **** and it broke. I am very mechanical, but by no means a mechanic. It looks like a pretty straight forward replacement, but is there any thing special that I need to know about adjustments or is there a cable housing available that is not plastic? From where it broke (the threaded stem) it looks like the entire cable or housing needs to be replaced. I used some Crysylium acetate (Super glue with a real bad attitude!) and it is working ok now, but I know it will not last. I have the new cable that I purchased from The Harley dealership Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
layne01
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Disconnect the rubber hoses from teh cannister and remove it from the bracket. That's it. Pull it off.
Hey thanks for getting back to me, Im a little further along than that, I also want to remove the vent lines from the tank and manifold prior to routing under the seat pan, to much clutter under there. What is up W/ the inline socket @ the cannister. Seems to be a blow off valve, ball valve,one way valve or just a filter? Can I not just plug the vent lines, or do I need this @ the tank vent?
THANKS in advance Doc
Layne

Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by layne01
Anyone here have any suggestions re:removing the canister? Just stripping **** from my bike. If I could get all this smog reg/carb off my bike, it'd be the better. I know what all these restrictive additions do to a car motor... can't be any less power robbing on a bike.
Layne
Dude if you think the evaporative canister has an effect on a car engine (or motorcycle engine) stop hanging around with whoever is telling you this stuff. The evap canister has no effect on performance, it simply reduces the amount of unburned fuel that would otherwise evaporate. Should the CARB board rule to institute the smog provisions of its current legislation regarding motorcycles, this will be an easy item to spot missing at a future smog inspection. Leave it alone.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM
layne01
Cruiser

Sorry mann but you must have the only stock Harley, you think switching cams, headwork, exhaust and tuniner would be easier to swap back if Cali goes to emission control on bikes? I think putting the canister back on will be the least of my worries. Besides Im just making a new seat pan and trying to cut down on all the bulk routed underneath. and there is alot of it!
Thanks though
layne

Old 05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

I'll only have to change exhaust system back and my PCIIIusb map, and maybe the air cleaner. A lot easier than replacing the evap canister and its hoses and fittings! Especially since the evap canister has no effect on performance.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 AM
layne01
Cruiser
Default Canister is one bolt!!! Why argue a moot point?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

So...you're removing parts of negligible weight that have no effect on performance, yet reduce volatile pollution from the air you breathe. I guess I'm just too simple-minded to get it...