Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin Cam 88b to S&S 106

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For the record, so it can be held against me if I am wrong, I am staying with the stock 4" stroke. The question I am wrestling with now is the bore size. 4" or 4.125". 100", or 107".

Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS

PS- You mention your wrench will be installing a better fuel pump... Does your bike have one, being a carb. bike?

K.
I just re-read and caught this... I meant to say OIL pump. Sorry. No fuel pump I know of.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote
For the record, so it can be held against me if I am wrong, I am staying with the stock 4" stroke. The question I am wrestling with now is the bore size. 4" or 4.125". 100", or 107".
Good choice but whatever stroke you choose would be your choice so it can't be wrong. However, if the stroke is 4", pass on the 100" and go for 107". Very dependable and torquey build; you will be happy with it. JMHO but I think Axtell has the best 107" piston cylinder package available. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Good choice but whatever stroke you choose would be your choice so it can't be wrong. However, if the stroke is 4", pass on the 100" and go for 107". Very dependable and torquey build; you will be happy with it. JMHO but I think Axtell has the best 107" piston cylinder package available. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
Ditto... If you order up an Axtell 4.125" kit how about drop shipping one to me in N.C. as well?!?!?

K.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

I am about to call Axtell to talk about their kits- both the complete setup, and just the cylinder kit. Any opinions on the appearance of the Axtell cylinders? If I stay with re-working my heads, or use someone else's, are the cooling fins on the Axtell cylinder the same thickness? I am considering a diamond cut as well. Anyone have a couple good pics of Axtell cylinders installed?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote
I am about to call Axtell to talk about their kits- both the complete setup, and just the cylinder kit. Any opinions on the appearance of the Axtell cylinders? If I stay with re-working my heads, or use someone else's, are the cooling fins on the Axtell cylinder the same thickness? I am considering a diamond cut as well. Anyone have a couple good pics of Axtell cylinders installed?
I can post a pic over the weekend, maybe someone can post one sooner. The appearance is same as stock with the exception that Axtell is engraged on one side of the base. The fins on the cam side are configured such that you will have to dremel out a notch in the inside lifter block cover where the pushrod tube seats to position the lifter block properly but it is not noticeable. You can see the cylinders at the website.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

Who should I talk to at Axtell? I called about 2 hours ago, and am waiting for a call back- Figured I may try again, just want a name to ask for..

Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

They are busy guys. I talk to Chaz when dealing with Axtell.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

Okay, I will give it a bit more time. I am just hoping to get something rolling on this early next week.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

It's Friday afternoon but they are located in CST so, you still have time to talk to them today. Don't wait, call and ask for Chaz. Also send Chaz an email at their email address realpower@axtellsales.com, tell him what you are planning and that you need to talk to him before finalizing an order.

They get tech calls all the time and do a good job of responding but they also have a shop to run. Letting them know that the only thing keeping you from placing an order is a telephone Q/A may expedite the phone conversation.

Quick Reply: Twin Cam 88b to S&S 106