Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

V & H Fuel Pack in lieu of Stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 01:50 AM
JRAZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V & H Fuel Pack in lieu of Stage 1?

Planning a new RKC purchase and will be putting on the new V & H big Shot Duals. I plan on getting the high flow air cleaner. My question is: If decide to buy the V & H Fuel Pack do I still need to do a Stage 1 as well? Your comments will be welcomed.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Blazer
Intermediate
Default RE: V & H Fuel Pack in lieu of Stage 1?

JRAZ, I am using a FuelPak with my V&H Big Shot Staggereds. According to the FuelPak instruction manual, you do not need to do a Stage 1. If you already have a Stage 1 chip level, then your FuelPak settings will differ from those for a Stock chip level. And if you ever remove your FuelPak, the bike will revert to the chip level that it was at originally (i.e., Stock or Stage 1).

Since the Harley Stage 1 download does not work well with most V&H pipes (according to my Harley dealer), this download is probably a waste of $150.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

JRAZ,

Just installed a FuelPak on my bike last night along with the Ness Big Sucker air kit. Both were as easy as it gets. I have a 04 RKC with V&H Basic slip-ons. No Harley remap. I agree with Blazer that the remap is probably a waste of $150 since it seems most guys that have the remap are still installing some type of fuel management system. Prior to the FuelPak I had a DFO on my bike and was quite satisfied with it except that I couldn't get totally rid of the decel popping. I was only able to take my bike for a short spin last night after installing the FuelPak and Big Sucker. It seemed to run just fine and the decel popping was gone. I'm headed out to Sturgis on Friday, about a 330 mile ride for me. I'll hope to have a much better opinion of the FuelPak whan I return.

Probably the only argument that you will get in favor of getting the Harley remap is that if the FuelPak, or any other fuel management component you have added, would quit working and you have installed a high performance air kit is that the bike would be running extremely lean and you could damage the bike if you rode it very far. I feel the odds of this happening are slim to none so I have elected to go without the remap. It will only be an issue if the FuelPak craps on me when I'm on a trip. I'm not worried about it.

Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know.

George
Aberdeen, SD

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM
JRAZ
Cruiser

Thanks Dakotazeb and Blazer for your feedback, it's appreciated! Sounds like V & H pipes with a fuel pak will be just fine.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Hughey79
Tourer

I am looking at either the power commander or the fuel pak. What was the cost of the fuel pak?

Old 08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Blazer
Intermediate

I think I paid $279 + shipping.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Dakotazeb
Tourer

I got my FuelPak for $219.95 plus $19.95 s/h at GoPartsDirect.com

http://www.gopartsdirect.com

Good luck. I'm headed to Sturgis in the morning and am going to look up the Vance & Hines guys and ask some more questions about the FuelPak and possible adjustments.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
crossbnz
Stage I
Default ThunderMax

Anyone using thundermax autotone, how has it improved your bike? My power commander is breakingdown under acceleration also located in a bad spot behind oil tank under rear fender gets wet and bike runs terrible. I have an 08 crossbones with stage 1 and V&H true duels. Thanks for your help.