Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Any how-to on installing exhaust?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
tinsley
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any how-to on installing exhaust?

I just ordered a new exhaust for my 2010 Sportster 48 (went with V&H Big Radius). They, along with my Screaming Eagle heavy breather, will be here on Monday. Since I have the day off today, I want to go ahead and remove the stock exhaust. I have the heat shields removed and then noticed the plug installed on the stock exhaust. I am guessing this is the O2 sensor, correct? Well, since this is my first Harley, I have a few questions. 1) How do I remove these from the stock exhaust? 2) Do these need to be bypassed in any way, or will they be installed back into my new aftermarket exhaust? 3) Is there a writeup anywhere on removing/installing new exhaust? I feel comfortable doing it, but a writeup can not hurt... Thanks for any help offered...

Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

If you are planning to work on the bike yourself, get the service manual. Exhaust and O2 sensor R/R would be covered in the service manual; it is a good investment.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
tinsley
2nd Gear

Oh, I'm sorry, I must of misunderstood this site. I thought it was a forum. Not that 90% of the questions here couldn't be answered if the person went out and purchased the manual, so thanks for your input. Can anyone actually answer the question asked?

Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok- Drag sell new plugs they are allen head just put some silver never sizze on them and install. The directions that come with vance & hines are very good do it step by step and you won.t have a problem. you will need new exhaust gaskets. you will need a special snap ring pliers to remove the flange and if you do not bugger it up the old snap ring and can reuse it . I buy new when I do it. than read the directions.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Undo the sensors with appropriate size wrench. There was no need to remove the heat shields separately but it is already done, so be it. Get a 1/2" socket with extension and remove the flange nuts on the head. Remove the bolts holding the exhasut bracket on and take it off. I don't know if your pipes come with new exhasut gaskets but it is recommended to replace them when you replace the exhaust. It is a very simple removal process as long as you have the right tools.

Drew

Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tinsley
Oh, I'm sorry, I must of misunderstood this site. I thought it was a forum. Not that 90% of the questions here couldn't be answered if the person went out and purchased the manual, so thanks for your input. Can anyone actually answer the question asked?
Calm down a bit, brother.

Though I am not the one who basically told you to

A couple of thoughts for you from my experience (for whatever that's worth):

1. I bought the manual, and read it, but at times it is written at a level for those who have real mechanical knowledge that I do not possess...so I ask forum members.

2. Some folks answer questions with little or no knowledge of the subject matter. I myself have answered questions on issues that I studied so long, I was POSITIVE that I knew the answer, but it turned out to be wrong, since those who explained it to me were wrong.

3. Grandma's secret recipe syndrome: even well intentioned folks inadvertently omit a tiny detail in their explanation that could be of extreme importance.

4. I have a Softail manual, 2010. I am amazed how even models of the same family and the same year vary greatly in their construction and design. One would think that they would vary mostly in cosmetic areas.

Just sayin'...

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Sublime1
Cruiser

Torquey, I agree with the RTFM response. (sorry Tinsley not flaming, all in good fun...)

The common perception (misguided or otherwise is.)

a.) if you're asking such an elementary question you likely haven't torn into any kind of combustion engine before. And probably should at least google "replace sportster 48 exhaust" before posting a very elementary type question.

b.) the forum has a search function, and this has likely been answered before.

e.g. "see function of O2 sensors"

c.) exhaust is quite possibly the simplest component to replace as it's rinse and repeat. Take the existing off, and install the new, like the old came off.

The caveat is that once you have a free'er flowing exhaust and intake, you'll need to enrichen the mixture to accommodate or you risk scorching valves and bluing exhaust pipes.

(the fuel in a modern Vtwin serves to cool the engine as much as it does in aiding combustion...a lean condition will make the engine run hotter.)

What i used to do when i first started tearing engines apart, is take polaroids of all the steps along the way. That way, if I got too far in, and decided i couldn't finish, i could follow my bread crumbs back to Hansel and Gretel's house...

the service manual, can be upward of $65. But that's less than 1 labor man hour at almost any shop, HD or Indy...

One last note. Not trying to be a know it all, but the O2 sensors are part of the modern OBD (on board diagnostics.) of the computerized engine. They take a sample (a sniff) of the outgoing exhaust gas, and determine how much unburnt fuel is in the mixture (thus determining the amount of O2 in the exhaust.) In real time, the computer adjust timing advance or retards spark and timing, as well as fuel mixture in order to achieve a "clean" emissions condition.

A poorly tuned system can do 2 things. 1, cause the engine to run dirty, increasing the deposits in the exhaust and eventually fouling, and killing O2 sensors, and 2.) can cause poor performance due to an overly rich condition, decreasing mileage and power .... It's always best to view any bolt on, even minor as it may seem, as impactful to the whole.

Last edited by Sublime1; 10-16-2010 at 08:18 PM.