Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Sucking air

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:03 AM
LaRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucking air

check this out, sounds like i am sucking air, i could be riding at any speed and i will hear like its gasping and then to much air sucks in then its goes again, any ideas on a 01 dwg, thought it might have been loose pipes but they are tight...
thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 06:55 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your explanation is not very detailed but you only "suck" air with a bad intake, not exhaust. Exhaust exits so it doesn't create a sucking sound. A carburetor and it's intake manifold sucks gas and air into the motor.

When you have an intake leak typically it's not loud enough to be heard over the motor. You can utilize a can of carb cleaner to spray in the intake area to see if the engine runs different when spraying the outside areas of the intake. If it dies out while spraying the area it means that the carb cleaner is being sucked into the intake leak and alters the engine speed.

Other sucking sounds can come from the air filter and becomes a predominate sound with after market high breathing air filter set ups.

Also if your intake is leaking you'll find yourself using the choke to meter the air and make the motor run better even when warm.

Look at your spark plugs and identify if they are white you have a lean condition, if they are black you have a rich situation. More often a rich condition will not show with an intake leak, what you will notice is it only runs smooth by adjusting the choke, even when warm.

If your not noticing any performance issues then the noise could be normal.

And if you don't understand any of what I mentioned then take the bike to a mechanic for "hands on" assistance.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:46 PM
LaRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

i will go check the plugs. i did pull hte carb off and foud the manifold seal has a rip in it, but it still seats very tightly, i will have to wait an dsee after i replace it. if thats the problem,
wonder if the manifold to the cylinder seals may be bad too,
and again thanks for that info.
LaRider