Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lifters

Had a interesting think go on yesterday, might be interesting to some with Woods Lifters. Or doing work on them.

Had some front cylinder tapping a few days ago riding in the somewhat cold. Oil temp with a cooler never did get above 185-190.

So I though might check everything OK.
Well I did. Lifters were still just like I left them. I went ahead and loosened them to readjust.

Went down per instruction 4 turnes, 0.125 or so, and things were tight. An Hour later still tight. 3 hours later still tight.

To cut to the chase, called Bob Woods and he said may take as long as 12 hours, or even overnight.

Its the clearance inside the plunger body. It is measured in millionths. Very, very tight. Why they are so quiet.

They are shipped with light machine oil but when 20-50 oil is there, bleed down takes awhile. Several hours.

Normal.

Adjusted them at 1500 yesterday and covered the area and left till this morning.
Sure enough turnes with fingers this morning.

You guys in the business of doing this, heads up.

All day or maybe overnight job.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 12-22-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this what you experienced the first time you adjusted them....after initial installation? Another cause would be micron levels of dirt in the oil.

I would have a problem with waiting that long between adjusting lifters and being able to ride. And for sure you wouldn't want to start the engine until the lifters bleed down.

Jim

Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Woods lifters will bleed down instantly the first time but once you get a heavier oil inside, it does take a while. It is what it is.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Yeah . Not a complaint.
Like letting paint dry. Gotta do it.
How else get lifters that work so well in Harleys? Tight, tight, tight.

Just something to plan for.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

If running heavier oil is indeed the reason the lifters need MUCH longer too bleed down after adjustment; why couldn't you remove the lifters, fill them with much lighter oil, displacing the heavier weight oil, then replace the lifters. One could inject the lifter with lighter oil with a trigger pull oil can or similar.

Jim

Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
Had a interesting think go on yesterday, might be interesting to some with Woods Lifters. Or doing work on them.

Had some front cylinder tapping a few days ago riding in the somewhat cold. Oil temp with a cooler never did get above 185-190.

So I though might check everything OK.
Well I did. Lifters were still just like I left them. I went ahead and loosened them to readjust.

Went down per instruction 4 turnes, 0.125 or so, and things were tight. An Hour later still tight. 3 hours later still tight.

To cut to the chase, called Bob Woods and he said may take as long as 12 hours, or even overnight.

Its the clearance inside the plunger body. It is measured in millionths. Very, very tight. Why they are so quiet.

They are shipped with light machine oil but when 20-50 oil is there, bleed down takes awhile. Several hours.

Normal.

Adjusted them at 1500 yesterday and covered the area and left till this morning.
Sure enough turnes with fingers this morning.

You guys in the business of doing this, heads up.

All day or maybe overnight job.

Old Gunny is right on, again, as we have witnessed the same here, not overnight, but 4 hrs or better.
Probably the best lifter on the market to date.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
If running heavier oil is indeed the reason the lifters need MUCH longer too bleed down after adjustment; why couldn't you remove the lifters, fill them with much lighter oil, displacing the heavier weight oil, then replace the lifters. One could inject the lifter with lighter oil with a trigger pull oil can or similar.

Jim
As was previously stated, the internal tolerances are extremely tight. If pushrod preload takes a while to push the heavier oil out; how do you think injecting lighter oil with a trigger pull can will work? Or were you planning on taking the lifter apart to get the heavier oil out? Maybe try putting them in a vice and cranking away? Why not follow Mr. Woods instructions?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Do not take them apart.
This straight from Bob Woods.
How I know?
Don't ask.

Gain NOTHING by taking them apart.
If you get them back together again it will still take several hours to bleed down after adjusting anyway.
This is not a challenge, just pure real world advice.

Just adjust and go do something else awhile.

As Hillside said, these are the best and there is a reason for this.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 12-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

<<<Quote from djl: As was previously stated, the internal tolerances are extremely tight. If pushrod preload takes a while to push the heavier oil out; how do you think injecting lighter oil with a trigger pull can will work? Or were you planning on taking the lifter apart to get the heavier oil out? Maybe try putting them in a vice and cranking away? Why not follow Mr. Woods instructions? >>>>>

djl,
Would you like to re-phrase the above in a less condescending manner; or is this your typical manner of encouraging discussion on a topic?????

Last edited by HardyHarHarley; 12-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by HardyHarHarley
<<<Quote from djl: As was previously stated, the internal tolerances are extremely tight. If pushrod preload takes a while to push the heavier oil out; how do you think injecting lighter oil with a trigger pull can will work? Or were you planning on taking the lifter apart to get the heavier oil out? Maybe try putting them in a vice and cranking away? Why not follow Mr. Woods instructions? >>>>>

djl,
Would you like to re-phrase the above in a less condescending manner; or is this your typical manner of encouraging discussion on a topic?????
Apologies to HHH. I was being facetious (1. joking or jesting, often inapprpriately; 2. meant to be humorous or funny-not serious). So, no, I won't re-phrase as my intent was not to be condescending, thus the . I will cop to being facetious to illustrate a point that I thought had already been made; I didn't think there was anything to discuss. The lifter construction makes bleed down take a while; full stop and no way around it. Best just to follow the instructions of the guy that developed the lifter.

I will also apologize for being facetious, although it is my natural state of mind.

Quick Reply: Lifters