Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

88" vs 95" HP

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 88" vs 95" HP

I'm thinking about doing the 95" SE2 big bore kit with the 203 cams to my 88" 2004 E-Glide, I have been searching for what the actual HP and torque gain will be and the more I search the more confusing it gets. It looks like the stock 88" is about 72 HP and 75 lbs of torque what will these numbers be with the 95" SE2 kit ( jugs ,pistons, cams and remap ) I've talked to several guys that have done this and they say the power gain is big, what do you guys think ? ? ?
THANKS ! ! !

Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 PM
po1192
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at the same options, I have an 06 SG, with the 88". Go to the SS website and look at their dyno numbers or check out my local shop it shows the dyno comparison. Google: Mitchell's Harley Davidson in Modesto, CA., go to their service section.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
po1192
Advanced

Also, I would try a different cam, look up Andrews.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default SE 204 cams

Originally Posted by po1192
Also, I would try a different cam, look up Andrews.
SE 204 cams are pretty much 203's advanced 4 crank degrees for more bottom and
midrange torque. These work better with baggers - what they were designed for.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
I'm thinking about doing the 95" SE2 big bore kit with the 203 cams to my 88" 2004 E-Glide, I have been searching for what the actual HP and torque gain will be and the more I search the more confusing it gets. It looks like the stock 88" is about 72 HP and 75 lbs of torque what will these numbers be with the 95" SE2 kit ( jugs ,pistons, cams and remap ) I've talked to several guys that have done this and they say the power gain is big, what do you guys think ? ? ?
THANKS ! ! !
This is a combination that out-powers the 95" S/E stuff with ease;
Bore to 98"
Andrews 37 cams set at 9.9 cr.
Our Stage II Heads
D&D Fatcat.
Doc's Performance Tuning, in Mineola, Fla just tuned one of these reliable combo's that rolled 106/111.
Torque almost flatlines.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Fatsurf
2nd Gear
Default Am in the assembly right now

FYI, I bought the stage II kit and am assembling it now (buttoned up the top end yesterday). Probley will finish next week and can let you know my pants seat dyno results.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What are going to use for a fuel manager? I would not do the remap.
Are you going to change out the the cam plate for the new style, or just replace the tensioners?

Last edited by tlb; 02-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by scooty
I'm thinking about doing the 95" SE2 big bore kit with the 203 cams to my 88" 2004 E-Glide, I have been searching for what the actual HP and torque gain will be and the more I search the more confusing it gets. It looks like the stock 88" is about 72 HP and 75 lbs of torque what will these numbers be with the 95" SE2 kit ( jugs ,pistons, cams and remap ) I've talked to several guys that have done this and they say the power gain is big, what do you guys think ? ? ? THANKS ! ! !
Warranty shouldn't be an issue with an '94 model so first question is why limit your self to H-D cams? Having said that, if you do stick with HD cams, consider the SE204 in lieu of the SE203. You don't mention head porting but an '04 model would probably need some head work, i.e., clean up, valve job and new guide seals. Don't know how much that costs in your area but for $299, BigBoyz will street port your heads. For another $75, they will deck the heads to the compression required for the selected cams. So, if basic headwork to rehabilitate heads to stock condition will cost, say $125, why not spend a little more and get more? Re-assemble with a .030" head gasket, adjustable pushrods, SE204 cams, better exhaust, tuner and tune and you are getting close to 100TQ/100HP.

A cheaper and better way, IMHO, would be to have your OEM cylinders bored to fit a set of SE cast flat top pistons, a set of Andrews TW26 cams, and same associated hardware named above, including street port job.

In either case, you will need a good exhaust like your head pipes with Cycle Shack or Rush slipons, tuner, change cam chain tensioner shoes, upgrade inner cam bearings and a good tune.

If budget will allow, consider upgrading the cam drive system from the spring loaded tensioners to the "hybrid" system with billet plate, hydraulic tensioners and upgraded oil pump.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Jake707SBFMC
Advanced

Originally Posted by po1192
I am looking at the same options, I have an 06 SG, with the 88". Go to the SS website and look at their dyno numbers or check out my local shop it shows the dyno comparison. Google: Mitchell's Harley Davidson in Modesto, CA., go to their service section.
i noticed you live in modesto if you go to Big Boy Performance talk to scotty and tell him that Jake sent you hell hook you up and they do great work there if you interested

Old 02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A big part of going with the HD SE2 kit is due to the fact that I am in northern Mn. and we don't have access to dynos and super tuners so I would like to stay with a somewhat proven system. I know that there are a thousand combinations that will output more HP than this kit but for me it is important that it works when it is done. Everybody that I talk to suggests different cams, heads, pipes or something so it gets really confusing. Also is there a fuel management system that I can install that will eliminate the need to have a dealer re-map the the bike ? ? ? I'm not trying to build a crotch rocket but I might convert this to a trike which will need the extra power.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS

Quick Reply: 88" vs 95" HP