Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Came to my senses

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK Checked all motor mounts even the true track system everything is OK. All bolts are nice and tight.

Just a though do you guys think that the engine oil was sticking to the crank and making it unbalance? still have 20w50 oil in it.

Decided to take the crank out and send it to RevolutionPerformance. They are going to disasemble, clean, check, assemble, true, plug, weld and balance. All for $450 and have it back in 10 days Cheap insurance, since I do rolling burnouts and just because I do ride it like I stole it. Also picked up the heavy duty crank bearing from dealer today. I was going to get the timken upgrade but decided not too.
Cams should be here tommorrow with torrington bearings.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by N-gin
Just a though do you guys think that the engine oil was sticking to the crank and making it unbalance? still have 20w50 oil in it.
You're kidding right? Have you checked the trans mainshaft bearing?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Timkin upgrace is not just a bearing change.
the Torringyon bearing change must be just a bearing to bearing change out.
Nothing wrong with that for bearings.

If I was all apart I would do the Timkin upgrade, which actually changes the way the crank is "supported" by the bearings.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
You're kidding right? Have you checked the trans mainshaft bearing?
Bike has 4300 miles on it. Only vibrates when you rev it past 2000 rpm. you can be at a stop light, in neutral, or in gear with clutch in. Could be cruising, Doesnt matter what variables are. anything past 2000 it vibrated. Both cylinders were firing. No codes. no bad wires. just cold weather. Since I have very low miles, everything was stock with the engine. Crank is only .0015 out. what is your guess. Im up for anything. Now that I have it apart might as well get some ideas. BTW I didcheck the trans bearings and they are good. Im stumped.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
N-gin
Road Captain
Default update

Got the cams in the cam plate. Engine case is split. Cleaned all sealant from engine case, Changed crank suport bearings for the updated SE bearing.
The heads, The spring presure was checked the stock beehive valve springs have 138 pounds on the seat so new springs are not needed. Glass beaded ports to remove pouder coat. Getting heads machined for comp releases. After I get the heads back they will be checked for cc volume. I need them to be 84 or 83 cc. Jugs are getting .005 shaved off the bottom, to get dech height to 0. Waiting for jugs to get machined so I can send the pistons with the crank to get balanced and welded.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Your 'tune' could be doing this. You are worse than I am.... haha! Before you took it all down, you could have done a few easy checks like running a string between the exhaust and the frame ALL THE WAY down the pipe, for example. Now, I guess it's wait on you to get it back and running. Ummmmm you WERE kidding about the oil, right?

2k vibration can easily be a timing issue, something rubbing on the bike, etc. With 4k miles on the bike and that nice of a runout... I woulda looked way further before doing a bottom end. Too late now, though. I have 38k on my 09. I did a crank when the output shaft (of which you did NOT measure BTW) went to .008 @ 18k miles. What did exhaust ports look like? Black or whiteish? If the port was white (not just valve), then your timing was too late. Did you use Datamaster to look at where knock control may be pulling timing?

HERE is how to measure a crank... with videos.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:27 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

haha no, just thought to put some humor out there, thats why I have the kid playing with the truck at the end of the sentence.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I, personally, think you did the right thing as far as using the SE Lefty instead of the Timken upgrade. I DID the timken on my bike, but wouldn't if I had a 'do over'. You, OBVIOUSLY, are NOT afraid to get dirty and tear into crap............... setting up the Timken is a PITA compared to the SE Lefty. Brian's video on Ina-vs- Timken needs to be viewed for what it actually is.... a sales tool. I have NOT heard of a SE lefty taking a crap, and by this time next year we will ALL know for sure... the new 120r drag class will tell the story... the 120r HAS the SE Lefty.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 02-19-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

Well I pressed in the bearing, sooo simple when you have a 40 ton press. Was thinking of pressing in the right side too. Why not if it is the same might as well. Wonder if I can use the same SE bearing.
I am basically waiting now for the pistons. So Ican send the crank out. This is going to be the longest couple weeks of my life. I hate waiting. Especially if I have things in the delivery system.
Ill see if I can get some pics. I would like you guys opinion on some pics.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:13 PM
N-gin
Road Captain

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...0026resize.jpg
The plugs, what u think about them?

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...0027resize.jpg

Piston, I was cleaning with seafoam wich dissolves the brown carbon but left behind black paint like chips. I could only guess it it from the poundercoating that was removed from the intake during running. Ant ideas?.

Quick Reply: Came to my senses