Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Best Headers for FLHXXX Trike

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM
wildman7798
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Headers for FLHXXX Trike

This post should ruffle some feathers as all I have read here is nothing but praise of the exhaust options for the 2010 Street Glide Trike. I currently have the stock 2/1/2 header, crossover and mufflers removed. I was originally going to do a cat gut on it, wrap it and bolt on some CVO SE's with Cycle Shack Baffles and call it good. I will eventually get a decent air intake and tuner down the road but this heat issue has to go first. After reading, looking at numbers and pictures of both the Full Sac and the Jackpot X pipe I am not terribly impressed. I assume that the stock crossover pipe is utilized - what a piece of work that is - a 90 degree turn exiting and a 90 degree turn getting to the muffler as well as it's reduced outlet size coupled with the flattened oval pipe design. We have not even talked about the difference in the overall pipe length on the 2 cylinders. It doesn't take a dyno for me to see that this is a poor system at best. It seems like both companies just slapped an x joint in the middle of poorly designed stock system. I see that Vance and Hines offers some FLHXXX options as well as Python - I am looking for some input from owners of the trike or touring bikes that have used the true dual setup with the rear cylinder pipe coming out on the left side and going under the passenger footrest. Not many rear passengers so I am not concerned with heat back there - I will probably wrap whatever I use so it won't matter. I am not real interested in any crossover system since the balance between the cylinders is part of the big picture for flow and power. I would like to hear your experiences with the "true duals" without the crossover pipe and if anyone has done this with a 2010 or 2011 Trike. My initial desire was to use the "X" pipe as I have found nice power gains in the V8 auto world using them, however this is not on the same level do to mismatched pipe lengths, insane 90 degree turns and compromised pipe diameters. $450 to put an X joint in place of a cat is what it looks like to me. Thanks, Wildman