Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

my attampt to tackle valve noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 PM
remmag
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my attampt to tackle valve noise

ok
i have had valve noise (obnoxiouse) especially since i had new cams installed

after reading posts and much help from forum members i decided to try woods lifters and adjustable pushrods

following service manual and other frorum members i did the job in a couple of hours with out a hitch,
i did earlier report it did not help much, but was a little hasty in that

went on a good long run and it definatly helped, the valve noise is in a much narrower rpm range , not quit as loud when it is there

per woods intructions i set the preload to .130 using screaming eagle pushrods 24tpi = 3 turns and 1 flat
as much as it is improved i am seriously considering hillside's advice of .140 to .150 preload
that may get rid of it all, but to be ohnest with you i could about live with it where it is, on the same hand i would hate to be this close to completly having the issue resolved and not take the next step

what do you guy's think

anyhow for you who may want to try this ,there is an improvement and it really is not a diificult job if you take your time and read the manual carefully

thanks again all of you for your input and help

Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 AM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have tapered se pushrods 24 tpi, I also put in new cams 510 s. I adjusted mine 3 1/2 turns and they were load. I put them what specs. are per h.d. 2 1/2 turns and they are as silent as can be.Amazing. Also I put in se lifters.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Garcou
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently Iam at 3 turns 2 flats (SE tapered/woods lifters)

Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
remmag
Cruiser

did you have improveents on valve noise

thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Garcou
Club Member

No, and I shimmed my rockers arms, had my pushrod tubes drilled out, rocker boxs clearanced, bought new cams. I have a clack that i can't seem to get rid of. It's not all that bad, Iam sure some if it's the roller rockers. After spending 1500.00 chasing the noise, I've resigned myself to "it is what it is" now just turn up the stereo and go on my merry way.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
remmag
Cruiser

man that suxxx,
mine definatly had an improvement, i may try a little more preload and if that dont improve it more i will leave well enough alone

Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Garcou
No, and I shimmed my rockers arms, had my pushrod tubes drilled out, rocker boxs clearanced, bought new cams. I have a clack that i can't seem to get rid of. It's not all that bad, Iam sure some if it's the roller rockers. After spending 1500.00 chasing the noise, I've resigned myself to "it is what it is" now just turn up the stereo and go on my merry way.
Dang! And I thought I my case of obsessive compulsive disorder was the worst. I chased the valve noise a little bit. I am at 3.5 turns on the Wood directional lifters and SE tapered adjustable pushrods. The valve noise is managable, but I'd like it to be a bit quieter. I decided not to tear into the engine looking for the phantom clicking sounds. I figure I will get no results or any changes will take me in the wrong direction. I'm going to ride as much as I can this season and then start worrying about more mods in the winter.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Originally Posted by atrain68
Dang! And I thought I my case of obsessive compulsive disorder was the worst. I chased the valve noise a little bit. I am at 3.5 turns on the Wood directional lifters and SE tapered adjustable pushrods. The valve noise is managable, but I'd like it to be a bit quieter. I decided not to tear into the engine looking for the phantom clicking sounds. I figure I will get no results or any changes will take me in the wrong direction. I'm going to ride as much as I can this season and then start worrying about more mods in the winter.
Atrain that's smart thinking, really I've had my top end apart so many times I had to start replacing bolts! I can strip the top end off in my sleep, I can't tell you how many times I've had my exhaust off. In the end the bike runs like a rape'd ape, theres no funky metal grinding sound, all inspections show perfect wear, no problems. Just a slight tick/clack. Going to do the same thing as you, just ride..... And start planning my 117/124 build

Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Mad brad
4th Gear
Default clicking

I to am chasing the dragon, my engine has the conversion cams etc im thinking cranks the problem. The front rod had some play side to side ?? mine is loud at 2.5 turns going to 3 and see if it helps MB

Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

A little valve train noise doesn't seem to bother me too much. But I did try to keep the lash in specs. on the earlier models with solid lifters. Take a 70s sportster for a spin and see how your valve train music compaires.
Billy

Quick Reply: my attampt to tackle valve noise