Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Lifters for twin cam

Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Wood lifters are a quality piece, and priced to match. The HD "b" lifters are more than adequate for most cams and builds. The HQ Black Ops are also quality pieces and work well. As for the new HD "C" lifters, well, a picture is worth a thousand words and it is not a pretty picture.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

My Woods lifters took all top end noise away and only took 1 minute to bleed down. The trick is to change them outside when it's 110 degrees outside.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I had ONE woods lifter take a couple hours to bleed down. Other three were like 20 minutes. This was long after initial install and had 60wt in the bike.

No biggy to me.
Mine ranged from five to fifteen minutes to bleed down when I installed SE pushrods to try to get rid of the noise in one of them after about a hundred miles of use since new. Up until then I was running them with the OEM pushrods.

They were removed and returned to Wood's for repair/replacement due to one continuing to be noisy after an additional 100 miles of use.

When I re-installed the OEM lifters that came with the bike, they all took at least 2 hours to bleed down.

Go figure???

Update:

Out of the blue, I just received a full refund from the good folks at Eastern Performance, where the lifters were purchased. No explanation, just a notice from Pay Pal.

I very much appreciate the refund and Eastern Performance will continue to be my "go-to" aftermarket parts source in the future. Honest, decent people there and I wish them all the best.

No more Wood's parts for me, though. Ol' Bob is just too exhausting to deal with when a (rare?) problem comes up with one of his products.

I'm gonna try S&S this time. The OEM's work OK, although overall they're a little noisy. They all sound the same - no ticking or clattering standing out from one.

The only reason I wanted to change them out to begin with was to get those Mexican-made, failure-prone, crap-parts that I don't trust out of my engine and install reliable, high quality, American-made lifters - which still applies AFAIC.

Thanks again to Eastern Performance for coming through!

Y'all ride safe and Happy Holidays,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 12-24-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:56 AM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought lifters "bleeding Down" is what caused ticking? I thought you wanted them to hold pressure well and that's why you used "slow Bleed" lifters for high lift cams?

why is a lifters that holds pressure during start-up a problem? I though they were suppose to pressurize with the oil pump pressure anyway?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:29 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LunaticFringe
I thought lifters "bleeding Down" is what caused ticking? I thought you wanted them to hold pressure well and that's why you used "slow Bleed" lifters for high lift cams?

why is a lifters that holds pressure during start-up a problem? I though they were suppose to pressurize with the oil pump pressure anyway?
As far as I can see, you're 100% correct in all your assumptions.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Mine ranged from five to fifteen minutes to bleed down when I installed SE pushrods to try to get rid of the noise in one of them after about a hundred miles of use since new. Up until then I was running them with the OEM pushrods.

They were removed and returned to Wood's for repair/replacement due to one continuing to be noisy after an additional 100 miles of use.

When I re-installed the OEM lifters that came with the bike, they all took at least 2 hours to bleed down.

Go figure???

Update:

Out of the blue, I just received a full refund from the good folks at Eastern Performance, where the lifters were purchased. No explanation, just a notice from Pay Pal.

I very much appreciate the refund and Eastern Performance will continue to be my "go-to" aftermarket parts source in the future. Honest, decent people there and I wish them all the best.

No more Wood's parts for me, though. Ol' Bob is just too exhausting to deal with when a (rare?) problem comes up with one of his products.

I'm gonna try S&S this time. The OEM's work OK, although overall they're a little noisy. They all sound the same - no ticking or clattering standing out from one.

The only reason I wanted to change them out to begin with was to get those Mexican-made, failure-prone, crap-parts that I don't trust out of my engine and install reliable, high quality, American-made lifters - which still applies AFAIC.

Thanks again to Eastern Performance for coming through!

Y'all ride safe and Happy Holidays,

JP
Eastern Performance has always been great to deal with and I always check them when purchasing sh*t as I know there will never be an issue if i need customer service. In fact, contrary to what you'd think reading some posts here, most every service provider I've dealt wit over the years has been pretty darn good with their customer service. (E'glide goodies, DK Customs, Mean City Cycles, Fuel Moto, Howard Moto Metal, Dragos, BikeTronics, Rockford fosgate, Hals HD) Thankfully my wife doesn't follow this forum

Last edited by kishstl; 05-10-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by kishstl
Eastern Performance has always been great to deal with and I always check them when purchasing sh*t as I know there will never be an issue if i need customer service. In fact, contrary to what you'd think reading some posts here, most every service provider I've dealt wit over the years has been pretty darn good with their customer service. (E'glide goodies, DK Customs, Mean City Cycles, Fuel Moto, Howard Moto Metal, Dragos, BikeTronics, Rockford fosgate, Hals HD) Thankfully my wife doesn't follow this forum
Yep. Good folks there for sure.