Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stock Twincam 88 vavle train noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Stock Twincam 88 vavle train noise

I have a stock ( except for exhaust) 03 Heritage with 32k mi. At apprx. 30K due to engine sounding slightly different, I had the stock camchain tensioner shoes replaced and screaming eagle adjustable pushrods installed. The work was done by a friend who has worked at my local HD dealership as a mechanic for over 10 years.
The originial cam tensioner shoes were in fair shape, about 1/3 worn.
I rode the bike to Daytona ( approx 1k mi. round trip) and on the return trip, noticed the valve train similiar to my old solid lifter iron head sportster.
I removed the cam chest cover,... shoes, chains, etc all looked like new.. changed engine oil, readjusted my lifter pre load to 2 1/2 turns and the noises were gone.... I thought. When the engine is cold it sounds fine. But, when the engine is hot at certain rpm's it sounds like the solid lifter sporster. Whats strange is the noises seem to come and go. I bought this bike new and have never abused the engine and have serviced it religiously.
The bike runs great and uses no oil but this noise bothers me
I seek and would appreciate expert advice.
Thanks in Advance.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Sounds like a lifter is heading south.
I'd grab a set, and then load the lifters to .140-.150", and might not be a bad idea to install an oil pressure shim, or spring at the same time.
BTW, what flavor oil are your running??
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Scott,
Over the years I've tried many different 20w50 oils, even ran 15w40 during the winter. At this time I'm running Vavoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. I usually change around 2500-3000 miles.
The noise sounds like all the vavles have some lash, not just 1. And it seems to change daily.
What brand lifter would you recommend?
I will shim the spring in the oil pump. Maybe I should have gone with the new Harley upgrade kit with the larger oil pump and camplate. I could not decide between the gear drive and the new style kit so I figured I had another 30k miles to decide. Which due you prefer?
Is swapping out the lifters a big job? I'm familiar with Shovelheads but due to the newer engines needing less maintanence, I'm not tooo familiar with the twincam...yet.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 1450
Hi Scott,
Over the years I've tried many different 20w50 oils, even ran 15w40 during the winter. At this time I'm running Vavoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. I usually change around 2500-3000 miles.
The noise sounds like all the vavles have some lash, not just 1. And it seems to change daily.
What brand lifter would you recommend?
I will shim the spring in the oil pump. Maybe I should have gone with the new Harley upgrade kit with the larger oil pump and camplate. I could not decide between the gear drive and the new style kit so I figured I had another 30k miles to decide. Which due you prefer?
Is swapping out the lifters a big job? I'm familiar with Shovelheads but due to the newer engines needing less maintanence, I'm not tooo familiar with the twincam...yet.
Thanks for your reply.

We use H-D lifters here in almost all our builds.
If you have pulled lifters on Shovels, your T/C shold be a piece of cake.
If you run into a snag, just holler.
Scott