Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Screamin Eagle Stage II Big Bore KIt

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
rickydog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle Stage II Big Bore KIt

I'm try to get an idea on the labor coast and time involved in this installation.The local HD put their own twist on this kit.Ill get the basics,Jugs,Pistons,Cams,Clutch Spring,Etc...Thats around 900$.Heres their Twist..The air cleaner will be , Heavy Breather (300$ ),instead of the stage I air Set up... they will port and polish my stock heads ($?).they will also install SE race tuner (330$) and two hours of Dyno time ($$ ? )..They mentioned maybe doing some work to the throttle body,Like what ?? I'm having them put on True dual headers( maybe V&H )with Rinehart slip ons..I know the coast of the basic 103 kit ( +/-900$),but what they put together isn't the basic,,any HD mechanic out here or Bros that have had this much work do at one time could give an idea of $$$$$$$ ???? Sounds like they'll have it forever and that adds up...Thanks Rickydog

Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Head porting aside, a BB install runs about 8 hours start to finish. If you want to save down time, pick up a set of take off heads ($150) have the head work done before you let them have your bike for the tear down.

Also, have the cams (255s?) selected and the heads set up (chamber volume/decking) for the target CR; get that sorted out and agreed before they start cutting on your heads. Are compression released included in the headwork? If not include manual CRs in the headwork. The head porter might have to open up the chambers a bit; 86cc will put you on the high end of reasonable corrected CR for a street build with the 255s and a .030" head gasket; 88cc-90cc would be more user freindly and easier to tune. Is the dealer actuall going to port your heads or are they sending them out? If the cost is more than $500, send them to BigBoyz or another "budget" porter. Most head porters are offering budget (velocity) porting and retaining stock valves.

Not sure about your exhaust setup and would look at alternatives. Stock head pipes are OK and RH slipons are notorious for early torque dips; tuning issue? Stock head pipes and 2" core Rush slipons would work just fine and save some $$$.

Set up right, you could see 90HP/110TQ out of the build but if you want anything after 4000 rpms, you will be disappointed with the 255s but up to that rpm level they are a great torque cam.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
rickydog
Advanced

Road Warrior,thanks for all the detail.will have a talk with HD. actually spoke with him earlier.total was 4400..thats their kit and labor.all in house work,,no CRs,heads just ported and using all stock head parts.using my stock jugs and punching them out.Honing throttle body out to 49mm.and what i mentioned earlyer..cams , pistons ,heavy breather,etc.they clam this set up puts out 110 numbers...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Brett Rahn
6th Gear
Default 103

Rickdog, that seems high as hell I did a 103 stage 4 kit from my dealer and the price installed and tuned NOT including the SE race tuner ( I allready had it) was 2900.00 , Now I already had exhaust as well but to me That is the way to go, what they are selling you is smoke and Mirrors, I had that kit 103 stage 2 and like other gents said, out of steam at 4500 rpm, the stage 4 Comes with everything even race tuner in catalog for 2399.99, than figure 8 -10 hrs labor plus 2 to tune it, My 103 stage 2 made93 hp and 104 tq with V@H Monster oval Mufflers and race tuner and heavy breather, the 103 stage 4 made 117 hp and 112tq, with V@H head pipe and High output mufflers, before the head pipe and Muffler change I dynoed it with stock head pipe and Monster ovals and it made 112hp and 110 tq. Now they did give me the credit for the race tuner because I had it but dam for what your getting seems high, and My bike is a street glide and with the numbers I put out it smokes a 110 SE bike, also they added the automatic compression releases and SE rocker arm supports, email me or respond I will fax you a copy, than you can sell all the stock crap (heads, TB, ext) and get some money back

Last edited by Brett Rahn; 04-08-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it cheaper to buy new cylinders or buy pistons and have your stock cylinders bored?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yes, cheaper to have cylinders bored for new pistons.

I am not so quick to say the $4400 is out of line. Brett Rahn did not have headwork, already had SERT and exhaust and probably SE air cleaner. Having said that, if I were you, I would get a line item estimate from the dealer for the total cost. Boring cylinders and new pistons should run about $300 compared to what, $600 for the Stage I BB kit which includes pistons, cylinders and SE air cleaner.

$4400 sounds on the hight side but without a line item estimate to define the scope of work, it's impossible to say for sure. Get the esimtate, post it and then we can get a feel for how the dealer is treating you.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM
rickydog
Advanced

Thanks all for the info,i will work on a written esimtate..i like to say this much about my HD dealer. i have 3 in the area ( had 4 ) and this one has been around the longest and has a good rep for speed shop work..i knew from the start the dollars would be up there but i also know that quality work is had to come bye...

Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

AND, depending on what you're intending to do with the bike, 80% of your power increase comes in that first $900 Stage II. Not everyone needs the extra 20% more power for the additional 2 or 3 grand.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djl
Yes, cheaper to have cylinders bored for new pistons.
I have two spare sets of cylinder I go cheap and if I ever go 95 CI I will put them in my boring bar and then hone them out on my Sunnen machine. I only have 85K on mine and want to see just how many miles I can get out of the stock 88 motor!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I was able to find a new set of SE 103" flat tops on EBay for $120 and had my stock cylinders bored-honed (with Tq plates) locally for $120. Many dealers sell the piston kit at 20% off ($140) so that may be something for you to look at?

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Stage II Big Bore KIt