Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Branch-O'Keefe Heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Branch-O'Keefe Heads

Yesterday I had a conversation with Branch-OKeefe ( B-O, aka Branch Flowmetrics) about their head work.

They do not get a lot of promo these days. Other porters are keen on tying to forum formats like this and pushing their services while B-O has been lying low.

They still do a lot of work and I think I would choose them to do my Twin Cam heads. They've done great work for me in the past.

Anyone researching head porters should check them out.

http://www.branchokeefe.com/index.html

They are well aware of what other porters are doing and they make a good case for the type of approach they themselves take.

1. Regarding the often criticized mirror finish polishing job that they do on their intake ports - B-O is well aware of other porters who contend that this can condense or collect fuel particles on the slick walls and create droplets of non-atomized fuel to drip into the cylinders. B-O acknowledges that this effect can be detected on intake tracts of long dimensions as with automotive manifolds. They have tested the Harley intake tract many times and this effect is very minimal if existing at all. The H-D intake is too short to create a problem with this. Further, they have noticed that fuel injection models are even less likely to create this effect. The smooth polishing does aid greater flow velocity and that is why they do it. B-O will, however, finish the ports with a rougher, blasted finish if desired by the customer.

2. CNC porting versus hand porting - Fixing the stock heads in a jig and letting a programmed CNC machine mill the ports out based on the theoretical blue print of the head is not always practical. If there was a core shift during the molding of the heads or any variation during the head molding process, the program for the CNC will not get the milling correct for those particlar heads. They make the case that the human touch can better allow for and accommodate variations in the castings of stock heads.

I was also impressed by B-O in that they referrred to other shops and the cams etc that they sold and did not negatively criticize some of these other products that they, B-O, did not sell. They even recommended some of the products sold by S&S as well as some of the shops that so often promote their products on this forum. B-O say they can work with any of these other fine offerings of cams, pistons and the like. B-O does sell name-brand products too.

I was also impressed that B-O went into some detail about how much better the stock Twin Cam heads are and how much better they flow than the past Evo and Shovelhead offerings.

They are very cordial and informative and seem to know what they're talking about. The Wild Man from Tennessee himself who fixed-up Elvis with his first Harley (Jerry Branch) still stops by but is apparently enjoying his retirement.

Anyway, who knows. I just wanted to get some more info out there about another well-established, capable and dependable head porter.

Last edited by leafman60; 04-01-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
DRAGO'S BIKE WORKS
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We all have are own little ways that we think works best. Branch heads I have not seen a set in years last time was on an 1995 evo in 2008 that we re-did bent valve. We try to be different from others we have sets of heads here we send out to others shops to try we even do it with customers to run are heads to see if they like them.9 out of 10 they buy from us. We have no problem sending out sample heads for shops to try so they can run them on there dyno. To look at the work we offer. I have never seen any one do that to be different. Send out heads to try. Depends on combos for matching for best fit.etc.... I you decide to go with Branch I am sure you be happy.
Thanks,
FD.

Originally Posted by leafman60
Yesterday I had a conversation with Branch-OKeefe ( B-O, aka Branch Flowmetrics) about their head work.

They do not get a lot of promo these days. Other porters are keen on tying to forum formats like this and pushing their services while B-O has been lying low.

They still do a lot of work and I think I would choose them to do my Twin Cam heads. They've done great work for me in the past.

They are well aware of what other porters are doing and they make a good case for the type of approach they themselves take.

1. Regarding the often criticized mirror finish polishing job that they do on their intake ports - B-O is well aware of other porters who contend that this can condense or collect fuel particles on the slick walls and create droplets of non-atomized fuel to drip into the cylinders. B-O acknowledges that this effect can be detected on intake tracts of long dimensions as with automotive manifolds. They have tested the Harley intake tract many times and this effect is very minimal if existing at all. The H-D intake is too short to create a problem with this. Further, they have noticed that fuel injection models are even less likely to create this effect. The smooth polishing does aid greater flow velocity and that is why they do it. B-O will, however, finish the ports with a rougher, blasted finish if desired by the customer.

2. CNC porting versus hand porting - Fixing the stock heads in a jig and letting a programmed CNC machine mill the ports out based on the theoretical blue print of the head is not always practical. If there was a core shift during the molding of the heads or any variation during the head molding process, the program for the CNC will not get the milling correct for those particlar heads. They make the case that the human touch can better allow for and accommodate variations in the castings of stock heads.

I was also impressed by B-O in that they referrred to other shops and the cams etc that they sold and did not negatively criticize some of these other products that they, B-O, did not sell. They even recommended some of the products sold by S&S as well as some of the shops that so often promote their products on this forum. B-O say they can work with any of these other fine offerings of cams, pistons and they like. B-O does sell name-brand products too.

I was also impressed that B-O went into some detail about how much better the stock Twin Cam heads are and how much better they flow than the past Evo and Shovelhead offerings.

They are very cordial and informative and seem to know what they're talking about. The Wild Man from Tennessee himself who fixed-up Elvis with his first Harley (Jerry Branch) still stops by but is apparently enjoying his retirement.

Anyway, who knows. I just wanted to get some more info out there about another well-established, capable and dependable head porter.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with Branch heads and there matched pistons. I am very happy with the results.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60

I was also impressed by B-O in that they referrred to other shops and the cams etc that they sold and did not negatively criticize some of these other products that they, B-O, did not sell. They even recommended some of the products sold by S&S as well as some of the shops that so often promote their products on this forum. B-O say they can work with any of these other fine offerings of cams, pistons and they like. B-O does sell name-brand products too.

We have relatively the same posture on the hand ported vs the CNC.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many different combinations to have generic ports/valve sizes/cc's.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I had to chime in. I have had nothing but great experiences with Branch Okeefe Heads. They have offer two Standard head porting options. The #4 head and the Performance Touring (PT) Head for twin cams. They will also custom design heads based on your needs.

I use their PT heads on a mildly built procharger engine and am VERY happy with the results.

My next build will use their heads......

Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

also agree on the CNC vs. hand porting,but are really not too crazy about the branch heads,besides the mirror port,thier port technoligy & methods are 25+ years old and have never really changed with alot of different port conturing that we`ve(and most other porters) have devolped over the years.their not bad heads,theres just a whole lot better out there

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Time was if you built a Harley motor Jerry Branch would be the best option for headwork. Tom Sifton would have probably supplied the cams, and S&S was the carb of choice. If you had a question you didn't go to a forum on the internet. Internet?

Times have changed and the options are mind boggling now. A ton of porters, cam suppliers, carbs, throttle bodies , tuning devices and ignition modules, and on and on. I mean no disrespect to B-O, Jerry Branch was a pioneer in hot rod Harleys. I'm sure they do fine work still. But......

The porters who post here also do great work. Sure they drum up a little business by posting here, but they also answer questions to guys they know won't be coming to them any time soon. They can also recommend which cams, pistons, carbs, throttle bodies, etc. will work best together with the particular headwork to get the best package for your needs.

Use B-O if you choose, but they have a lot of great competition these days, and I'm glad that they do.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
46u
Road Warrior

The main thing I do not like about branch heads is they polish the intake ports where most leave them some what rough to crate turbulence for better fuel air mixing. All so why most do not polish to a mirror finish on the intakes. Branch is the only one I know about that polishes them a mirror finish on the intake ports. There might be others just do not know of any others.

There is a long time great porter here in middle GA and he says for the most part CNC heads are pretty good. Castings this day and age are very similar. He did say on CNC heads some hand porting will make them some better you have to way cost out of what you want out of them.

Last edited by 46u; 02-28-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
also agree on the CNC vs. hand porting,but are really not too crazy about the branch heads,besides the mirror port,thier port technoligy & methods are 25+ years old and have never really changed with alot of different port conturing that we`ve(and most other porters) have devolped over the years.their not bad heads,theres just a whole lot better out there
I agree!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Boost
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tend to agree with Branch Okeefe that the polished ports are to short to negatively effect Fuel atomization (on fuel injected engines). The port diameter, velocity and cylinder head temperatures also lead me to the same belief. I'd like to see a test done on a set of heads to document the affects of the polished finish.

Test 1. CNC ported heads. Flowed and dynoed

Test 2. The same heads, hand finished and polished ports. Flowed and dynoed on the same bike.

hell.. I have a set of heads Ill give up now for the test

Quick Reply: Branch-O'Keefe Heads