Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

97" kit valve train noise after motor is warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
rollnthunder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97" kit valve train noise after motor is warmed up

Ok here is the deal.I just had a 97" kit put in my 2004 ultra.When cold it sounds nice and quiet.But as it gets warmed up and you have been riding for a little bit the valve train starts to get noisey.The bike had Se204 cams and the upgraded screaming eagle cam door and oil pump prior to me getting the big bore done.I had the 97" kit put in plus we put screaming eagle lifters in and perfect fit pushrods.Im wondering if going to adjustable pushrods will help with this?IT only gets noisey after its up to operating temps.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We use nothing but S&S adjustables here, and load the lifter, .140-.150".
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 AM
rollnthunder
Tourer

Well looks like I will be ordering some s&s adjustable push rods hope this quiets it down some

Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

You would have to do the math and calculate the stack up height of the valve train compared to the length of the perfect fit pushrods to determine lifter preload. With SE (same base circle)cams, OEM head gasket and no head milling, the valve train stack up height would be the same as stock. So, if you used the +.030 pushrod, the lifter would be preloaded to .150". Valve train should be quiet. Point is, you need to do the math before buying adjustable pushrods.

I have never been a fan of SE lifters and have never used them so no comment on them but I have experienced bad lifters right out of the box.

Are you sure the noise is valve train noise? If the piston to bore fitment is loose, you could be hearing pistons. That would explain the noise not occurring until the engine was up to operating temps. Lifter noise is usually the opposite; noisy when cold while the lifters pump up but quiet at operating temps with proper oil pressure.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

What oil are you using and yes adjustable push rods can help because it is a perfect fitted adjustment for each valve

Old 03-18-2012, 09:21 PM
rollnthunder
Tourer

im running 20w50 lucas motorcycle oil non synthetic untill the break in period is done ive had good luck with there products in my 1/4 mile drag cars.As for the figuring the math on the valve train.The heads where not milled and the head gaskets are .040 thick.I know my buddies softail gets noisey when it gets hot and it only has 8000 miles on it.Im in the process of putting my ultracool oil cooler with fan on to help with oil temps and then i think i may pull the rocker boxes and change the pushrods.I dont want to cut them since they are new.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by rollnthunder
im running 20w50 lucas motorcycle oil non synthetic untill the break in period is done ive had good luck with there products in my 1/4 mile drag cars.As for the figuring the math on the valve train.The heads where not milled and the head gaskets are .040 thick.I know my buddies softail gets noisey when it gets hot and it only has 8000 miles on it.Im in the process of putting my ultracool oil cooler with fan on to help with oil temps and then i think i may pull the rocker boxes and change the pushrods.I dont want to cut them since they are new.
With SE (same base circle)cams, OEM head gasket and no head milling, the valve train stack up height would be the same as stock. So, if you used the +.030 pushrod, the lifter would be preloaded to .150". Valve train should be quiet. I don't see how adjustables are going to help as you won't adjust them with more preload than you already have.

Oil type and viscosity won't make much difference with regard to valve train noise. Guys have tried everything from 15W30 to straight 60W, conventional and synthetic, with very little difference. Sometimes, the lighter weight oil, if it gets pretty hot, won't hold up in the lifters and they bleed down introducing lash into the valve train. Get a set of HQ Black Ops or Woods directional lifters and the problem will probably go away.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

What do you mean the oil wont make a difference in valve train noise are you ill or have you just never heard and brand new CVO run next to a stand HD with conventional oil you bet yer bottom dollar that the CVO valve train is much louder. That being said I would never tell a mechanic that this way or that way is better or quaker state or pennsoil is better because every mechanics thinks their way is the right way and there aint nothing wrong with that. But generally speaking but not always valve train noise has a couple leading prospects that come to mind first one as stated is synthetic oil the other as stated is improper valve travel which the adjustable push rods could take care of. If those dont fix the problem there could be and more catistrophic problem looming. Nothing a top end dissassembly and good inspection and measurement of all related componets couldnt remedy.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by NDMECH
What do you mean the oil wont make a difference in valve train noise are you ill or have you just never heard and brand new CVO run next to a stand HD with conventional oil you bet yer bottom dollar that the CVO valve train is much louder.
So, that's how you come to the conclusion that changing oil will eliminate valve train noise? Please explain the logic. I guess the next time someone asks me how to eliminate valve train noise, I need be concerned with what lifters were installed, what pushrods were installed, how the valve train stacks up, what rocker arms were installed, how many miles are on the rocker arms and/or lifters, what cams were installed or what valve springs were installed; I can just tell them to change oil; problem solved.

Originally Posted by NDMECH
That being said I would never tell a mechanic that this way or that way is better or quaker state or pennsoil is better because every mechanics thinks their way is the right way and there aint nothing wrong with that. But generally speaking but not always valve train noise has a couple leading prospects that come to mind first one as stated is synthetic oil the other as stated is improper valve travel which the adjustable push rods could take care of. If those dont fix the problem there could be and more catistrophic problem looming. Nothing a top end dissassembly and good inspection and measurement of all related componets couldnt remedy.
If oil type or viscosity was a cure for valve train noise all the posts on this and other forums about valve train noise could be easily addressed. Valve train noise can be the result of lash in the valve train, possible contact between pushrod and tube, heavy valve spring pressure seating the valve hard and/or excessive clearance between rocker arm and support shaft. I have heard noisy valve trains in stock and built engines, engines that run synthetic and engines that run conventional oil. The only way changing oil will reduce valve train noise is in a situation where aggressive cams and stiff springs overcome the lifters ability to stay pumped up. Changing to a heavier viscosity oil might, mind you I said might, help the lifter stay pumped up. The proper fix for that situation is a better lifter, like HQ Black Ops or Woods directional with anti bleed down features.

Additionally, and this is JMHO, the tried and true "B" lifters that we used to rely on that were made by Delphi were replaced last year with the "C" lifter which is made in Mexico. Like I said, JMHO but I am of the opinon that the machining tolerances, etc. have suffered as a result and the "C" lifter might be fine for TQ/HP of a stock engine but do not stand up to the demands of a performance build that puts more stress on the valve train and the lifters. But that's JMHO.

BTW, what oil would you recommend to the OP to solve his problem? IIRC, he is running a branded 20W50 conventional oil, not a synthetic. Maybe he should be running a straight 60W?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
NDMECH
Intermediate

You need to read the entire post I didnt say that oil is the only reason for valve train noise

Quick Reply: 97" kit valve train noise after motor is warmed up