Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Just finished with Cam install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished with Cam install

Well I finally got the Andrews 48H cams installed in my 2010 Fat Bob. Pretty easy install if your in your 30's or 40's, maybe even in your 50's. I'm not. Took my time doing it though so it wasn't too bad. I kept the stock push rods so had to pull the tank and rocker boxes which is a pain but in my opinion..... what else was I gonna do? Still about 8 or 9 feet of snow on the ground this year, I checked the spread sheet I keep on my bike for maintenance records and see that I got it ready to ride about 16 March last year, alot more snow this year. Only big surprise was when I went to change the inner cam bearings the tool I got from Beatty was to large to fit through the bearing! I think it was actually to large because it was shipped with the inner bolt pushed deep into the mandrel and I couldn't get it to squish enough to fit. A night in the freezer without the inner bolt and it worked as advertised
I'll put the rocker boxes back together tonight and install the gas tank tomorrow and crank it up but it'll be another month before I can ride it I think. Need to start thinking about getting a snow-go for the winters!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Just finished with the same cams on my '09 Fat bob. Doing pushrods tonight and exhaust goes on Friday. What setup are you running and do you plan on getting it tuned/dyno'ed to see the results? Would be interesting to compare.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
dbierman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Rider50
Well I finally got the Andrews 48H cams installed in my 2010 Fat Bob. Pretty easy install if your in your 30's or 40's, maybe even in your 50's. I'm not. Took my time doing it though so it wasn't too bad. I kept the stock push rods so had to pull the tank and rocker boxes which is a pain but in my opinion..... what else was I gonna do? Still about 8 or 9 feet of snow on the ground this year, I checked the spread sheet I keep on my bike for maintenance records and see that I got it ready to ride about 16 March last year, alot more snow this year. Only big surprise was when I went to change the inner cam bearings the tool I got from Beatty was to large to fit through the bearing! I think it was actually to large because it was shipped with the inner bolt pushed deep into the mandrel and I couldn't get it to squish enough to fit. A night in the freezer without the inner bolt and it worked as advertised
I'll put the rocker boxes back together tonight and install the gas tank tomorrow and crank it up but it'll be another month before I can ride it I think. Need to start thinking about getting a snow-go for the winters!
What does your age have to do with how easy it is to install the cams?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dbierman
What does your age have to do with how easy it is to install the cams?
I was wondering the same thing, although in the last few years, I've noticed that the arthritis in my hands tends to be a bit limiting.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

For me the age thing definitely means eyesight. Man has my eyesight gone bad, arm length or closer, since I turned 50.