Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

V&H Fuel Pack & 06 Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts
Default V&H Fuel Pack & 06 Models

I've been on the fence as to whether or not to buy an 06 in the used market or a new 07. Make a long story, I found an 06 Road Glide with just over 2000 miles on the clock for $15500. There are no perforuance mods with the exception of a set of Screaming Eagle Race pipes. Stopped by my local dealer today and asked about a SERT orPower Commander. He recommended either 1) Factory Download 2) Better yet a Vance & Hines Fuel Pak or the best route 3) SE Race Tuner and dyno.

I agree the best route is the SERT and dyno. However, I am paying cash for the bike and also have a wedding coming up and have to watch my pennies. I've done a small amt of reading and the unit but nothing specific with any 06 models. Can anyone chime in with their experience wiht the V&H Fuel Pak and the 06 touring bikes? The service manager strongly advised I stay away from a Power Commander.

I figure down the road other mods can be done but for now, this and a Big Sucker would open it up since it's basically stock.

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: V&H Fuel Pack & 06 Models

Had an 05 RK Classic. FuelPak worked great.

Got taken out on freeway and replaced the RKC with an 06 Street Glide.

Put the FuelPak on andthe SG ran horribly. Tweaked the settingsper V&H's recommendations and no improvement.

They've had a year now and maybe V&Hhas the settings perfected but I switched to the Power Commanderand the difference was like night and day.

Like I said I had the FP on my 05 but switched due to problems on my 06 and will never go back.

SERT is great but costly and harder to configure.

Do a search on the site and you will see LOTS of comparisons on the SERT and Power Commander but the consensus I believe still is that the FP and the06 are a less than perfect combo.

Primo

P.S. Welcome to the Forum !

Old 01-04-2007, 10:10 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're on a budget, go with a TFI/DFO unit. I did with my 06 Roadglide and it works nice with my stage 1 air cleaner and Vance and Hines mufflers.
Gary D.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dealer must be out of Power Commanders. You'll be stuck with a non-adjustable unit with the Fuel Pak. The Power Commander will adapt to just about any set up ever have - you can move it from bike to bike - it can be dyno'd as opposed to the Fuel Pak. The list goes on. I had one and it popped on decel and screwed up my cruise control (only happened with early models and was corrected, fyi). I recommend the PC USB III. Keep it stock if you are really watching those pennies.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Onry1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contrary to the last post, the V&H Fuel Pack is adjustable. However, I have the Fuel Pack on my 06 RK Custom and cannot get the correct settings for the Wild Pig pipes I am running. I contacted V&H and wass told last March that the setting were coming soon. I contacted V&H again in July, still no settings for my pipes. To make a long story short, if I had to do it over again, and still probably will, I'd avoid the Fuel Pack if possible. Since you are running the V&H pipes you might not have a problem.[sm=escape.gif]

Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected - if you don't mind calling Vance and Hines support, you can do rough adjustments on the Fuel Pak. I still think most people will end up buying the PCIII eventually anyway. Just my opinion.