Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Exhaust System Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics-57/)
-   -   Help! Stage 1 Upgrade Quote seems high (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics/798085-help-stage-1-upgrade-quote-seems-high.html)

Tampakingpin 08-14-2012 04:54 PM

Help! Stage 1 Upgrade Quote seems high

Hello and thanks in advance for your time and expertise,

I am looking at customizing my Fatboy Lo with a Stage 1 upgrade. I researched the components I wanted to add and requested a Quote from my local dealer. Here is the outcome:

Vance and Hines Big Radius Exhaust, 2-into-2 = $799.95 Part#1800-0746
Labor to install exhaust = $170.00(2 hours)

Screamin’ Eagle Heavy Breather Air Cleaner Kit = $299.95 Part#29098-09
Labor to install heavy breather = $85.00(1 hour)

Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner = $459.95 Part#32109-08B
Dynamometer the Motorcycle = $280.00 (the super tuner is used to interface the laptop to the bike while dynoing the bike)

Kuryakyn Lighted Curved Laydown License Plate Frame - $69.95
Labor to Install license plate frame = $85.00 (1 hour)

Total which includes tax and shop supplies - $2437.25

The quote seems rough (read as too high). They are killing me on the license plate frame. But the other stuff seems pricey. I also do not have the technical knowledge to understand why you have to purchase the Super Tuner AND pay 280 for the Dynamometer work. Can anyone help me out?

jackinthebox 08-14-2012 06:13 PM

To be honest it seems about right to me. You have quite a bit of cost just in the parts you are getting. Most dealers are going to charge you a min of a hour even if it takes 1/2 hr. The labor break down for each part seems about right for my area. As far as paying for the dyno thats not bad cause a lot of place charge a 4 hr flat rate. Your hr rate of 85.00 is about average and I have seen them higher at 95/hr.
If you have any mech skills at all you could prob install the exhuast and a/c yourself. Another way to save some money is to go with a FM power vision with a map already installed so that you wont have to dyno. There maps are actually pretty good. Also if you go with the dealer maybe switch out the se tuner with a tts cause I think they are a little better. Hope this helps
Also the dyno is to check your afr and timing in all the rpms ranges. But you should check if they actually do the dyno or just give you a map and max dyno run.

Hillsidecycle.com 08-15-2012 05:00 AM

Maybe you could look around on flea-bay, for the pieces/parts, and do the install(s) yourself?

prodrag1320 08-15-2012 07:01 AM

prices look high to me,ide look around

jcb1975@yahoo.com 08-15-2012 10:35 AM

Bought a used vance hines 2/1 from someone here in the classifieds for $250, a PCIII for $300 and Ness big sucker for $100 both from Fuel Moto. I already had a license plate holder, so I didn't need that. What, don't Fatboys come with license plate holders?

nevil 08-15-2012 12:13 PM

Sounds about right for what a dealer charges. Like someone said here, contact Fuel Moto and see what packages they offer. You can get a tuner that will do the job without having to dyno the bike. And if the guy at the dealer who does the dyno isn't that proficient at it you won't be happy with the results.
If you don't feel like you can do the install yourself, which I suspect is the case since you want the dealer to install your plate bracket (and that's OK, too), your other choice besides the dealer is to find an indie with a good reputation.

Tampakingpin 08-15-2012 01:25 PM

Checking out fuel moto

Hammerhead Pat 08-15-2012 04:02 PM

Are you gonna do the install yourself if you get the Fuel Moto package? You'll wanna have a service manual if you don't already( torque values). I'm willing to help you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, Pat.