Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

cam upgrade stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam upgrade stock heads

Ive got an 02 fatboy(carbed), and wanting to upgrade my cams. My heads are stock. I do plan on installing a 95" big bore, later, probably this winter. My question is, what is a good cam to upgrade to that can be installed without changing valve springs etc. I searched the forum, and see andrews 37 works good with a big bore, but how would it work with stock heads and a standard bore? I want to keep it reliable, and want the power in the low to mid rpm range.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
bigjoe1
Advanced

Andrews 26 will do you good right now and will work even better in the 95" down the road.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM
cdorsey50stang
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Andrews TW21 with my 1999 Bagger. I did a ton of research on your very question before I bought my set. Being the Fatboy is a lighter bike than mine I would recommend the TW26 too. With your stock cams you are running about 160 cold cranking compression. You'll have about the same with the TW26 but it will open up more power on the higher rpm's. The TW21 bumped my compression up about 4 psi so it helped in the lower rpm's but my bike being a bagger needs more low end grunt. It really depends on how you ride too. My bike never sees more than 4,500 rpm. If you ride like I do (pretty normal) you may not notice much difference with the 26 until you do the 95 kit.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgreene1968
Ive got an 02 fatboy(carbed), and wanting to upgrade my cams. My heads are stock. I do plan on installing a 95" big bore, later, probably this winter. My question is, what is a good cam to upgrade to that can be installed without changing valve springs etc. I searched the forum, and see andrews 37 works good with a big bore, but how would it work with stock heads and a standard bore? I want to keep it reliable, and want the power in the low to mid rpm range.

Thanks
The 37 needs the compression of decked heads and larger bore; it will be a turd in your 88"er.

As the two previous posters suggest, the 26 would be a good choice until you can go big bore and have the heads worked. The 26 will still work for you but at that point, there are many other cams that would be better choices.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

thanks for the replies..im gonna check into a set of the 26 cams. Anything else i should consider buying..im assuming i should get new lifters and probably tensioners also. The bike has 32k on it

Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgreene1968
thanks for the replies..im gonna check into a set of the 26 cams. Anything else i should consider buying..im assuming i should get new lifters and probably tensioners also. The bike has 32k on it
Torrington B148 inner cam bearings, Baisley LMR-002 Oil Pressure Spring in the cam plate, 46 slow jet, 185 main jet in the carb.

Last edited by roadkingharry; 09-04-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: carb jets
Old 09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

All good input from rkh but be prepared to jet the carb to give the engine what it needs; there is no silver bullet when it comes to tuning the CV carb. The needle and the needle position is as important as the slow and main jets.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
All good input from rkh but be prepared to jet the carb to give the engine what it needs; there is no silver bullet when it comes to tuning the CV carb. The needle and the needle position is as important as the slow and main jets.
thanks man. I used to race dirtbikes and sometimes they was pure hell to jet after a bigbore, then other times i would get lucky,
One thing i did find on this bike, while taking things apart to clean etc. The previous owner has installed a screamin eagle race ignition...so i dont know if it has had any engine work already done. And only way to find out is to tear it down. The guy i bought it from was the 2nd owner and he didnt have a clue. So im thinking the original owner must have installed the ignition...i cant see installing a race ignition without motor work, since it retards timing at wot

Old 09-05-2012, 01:59 PM
JohnC FXDX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how you get 2 different answers on 2 different forums. I've researched the cam thing as well and contemplated head work and big bore. It all depends on budget though when the time comes. I think that cam only, the 26 seems to be the consensus. The 37 or Wood TW6 seems to be good if you go big bore and ported heads. The other forum had a lot of SE 204 mentioned. I'm curious to see opinions on that here vs. The 26 for a stock 88". What about the HQ0034? Seems to come close to the 37 on duration, but the intake closes more like the 26.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnC FXDX
Funny how you get 2 different answers on 2 different forums. I've researched the cam thing as well and contemplated head work and big bore. It all depends on budget though when the time comes. I think that cam only, the 26 seems to be the consensus. The 37 or Wood TW6 seems to be good if you go big bore and ported heads. The other forum had a lot of SE 204 mentioned. I'm curious to see opinions on that here vs. The 26 for a stock 88". What about the HQ0034? Seems to come close to the 37 on duration, but the intake closes more like the 26.

yeah man, getting alot of different suggestions, been reading up on the different cams today. Sure makes it tough to decide. Wish it wasnt such a chore to do the cam swap..so i could try a couple different ones. Guess its one of them things..try it and if you dont like it, tear it back down

Quick Reply: cam upgrade stock heads