Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde
View Poll Results: CP Pistons vs Wiseco Pistons
CP Pistons
52.63%
Wiseco Pistons
15.79%
CP Pistons with coated skirts
15.79%
Wiseco Pistons with coated skirts
15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

CP Pistons or Wiseco Pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CP Pistons or Wiseco Pistons?

Which would you prefer and why? I am currently putting together a couple of different builds. I would like to get some feedback from forum members on your piston preference. The options are CP pistons or Wiseco pistons and coated skirts or non coated skirts. Let's hear what you like and why? Keep in mind that the coated piston do cost a little more and in my experience, I have not seen a problem with either but the coating is supposed to add some extra protection against galling etc.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

38 views, no votes and I figure of those 38 some of you are the guys that always chime in on this section of the forum and are builders. What's the skinny guys?

I've heard some builders say that pistons are pistons and that pistons don't even know what they're doing or which way they're going but I figured the regulars in this section had a preference. What is it?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM
evostroker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for both...They are both quality products. I like coated skirts, it really helps with the initial break in miles. keeps scoring of the cylinders to a minimum

Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We chose to go with Wiesco Piston, Mentor, Ohio, when wanting to have a another proprietary product here. 88-98", and 96-107" kits, with complete Cometic gasks. That was almost 6 years ago, being one of the first facilities in the country to do so.
They are the worlds largest/leader in piston manufacturing in the powersports industry.
All S&S pistons are currently manufactered by them, as well as the P&A Group and CVO group, from the Moco.
We've been using them in almost all our builds, for over 2 decades.
Great folks to do business with.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

I appreciate the feedback. Curious why the two of you that I respect as builders, Hillside, and BVBOB have both voted no coating? Granted in a perfect world, the pistons should not even touch the cylinder walls, only the rings, but for initial break in and dry start ups do you think they can be beneficial? What about in applications like nitorus or other similar enviornments?

No disrespect to others who have voted. I do appreciate your input as well and if any of you would like to go into discussion as to coated vs no coated I would certainly like to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks again to everyone and please continue to vote for anyone else who hasn't done so. DJL, you're a regular here and usually have something to say. What's your perspective on this subject?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I would expect YOU to recommend suitable pistons for any build I have! I haven't voted as it seems an unnecessary poll.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by INDEPENDENT_1
DJL, you're a regular here and usually have something to say. What's your perspective on this subject?
I look more at application and what products, IMHO, work best in that application. If building a 98", I would likely go to Scott for a set of the Wiseco pistons he uses. However, I am a believer in coatings and have a local source so I would have the Wisesco's coated.

If building bigger engines, I would opt for CPs with the coating.

Both are excellent products, good quality and customer service.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Double Trouble
Cruiser

Either company makes top notch pistons. The CP's have seen more use in auto builds, but I have used mostly wiseco in my bikes, quads ect. Wouldn't hesitate to run either one.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I should have mentioned the reason for my preference, no commercials I promise.
The pic of the two pistons are a Wiseco and CP, if you notice the Wiseco has a very narrow slipper skirt that is best suited for a racing application while the CP has full skirt support. In an air cooled long stroke application with a great deal of cylinder expansion skirt support is Very important.
As for the coatings I have never had an issue with coated or uncoated and the uncoated are more readily available and I like the fact that measurements can be done without the coating interfering.

Some additional info on the slipper skirts http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6240828/fulltext.html

Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
INDEPENDENT_1
Cruiser

So are djl and BVBOB on the contrary?

Quick Reply: CP Pistons or Wiseco Pistons?