Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Check valve question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Check valve question

I noticed yesterday that I was dripping fuel on my 09 Ultra. Its just a slow drip so I disconnected the fuel line from the bottom of the gas tank to see if it was coming from the check valve or from the fuel line to the intake. It seems as if the check valve has a slow drip... I pulled the check valve this morning and noticed the O ring is really damaged. My questions are...

If the leak was coming from a bad O ring wouldn't I have noticed the leak around the valve itself? It appeared dry.

I believe I have a bad check valve because it shouldn't drip correct?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:32 AM
tmc82
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Leak

Unfortunately I can't help you, because I am having the same problems with my efi bike. I am hoping who even answers your question will be able to answer mine. So...Here is the question. It appears that there are two orings in the female end of the quick connect. One is a square cut oring about midway up the female coupling. And it appears there is another at the very top of the couping. Every time I try to remove the one at the bottom i get a little shot of gasoline. Do both of the orings need to be replaced? What am I doing wrong? This is on a 04 Lowrider. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 AM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
I noticed yesterday that I was dripping fuel on my 09 Ultra. Its just a slow drip so I disconnected the fuel line from the bottom of the gas tank to see if it was coming from the check valve or from the fuel line to the intake. It seems as if the check valve has a slow drip... I pulled the check valve this morning and noticed the O ring is really damaged. My questions are...

If the leak was coming from a bad O ring wouldn't I have noticed the leak around the valve itself? It appeared dry.

I believe I have a bad check valve because it shouldn't drip correct?
A check valves function is to only allow liquid to flow in one direction. If the drip is on the pressure line, then your valve is good. Replace the o ring and all should be good. If the connection is like mine where you can remove the hose and it should not leak, even if tank is full, but it is leaking, then yes something is wrong.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:41 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If it was leaking when the fuel line was connected that the problem of the leak is not the check valve. When the fuel hose is attached, the check valve is always open anyway. If it leaks from the connection when connected, it would most likely be the o-ring(s) in the quick disconnect fitting. They are not really designed to be services but you might be able to replace them if you can find exact part at a hardware store or somewhere else. Just make sure you relieve pressure on the fuel line before you try to remove the lower o-ring.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. I have both o-rings out of the inside and am going to replace them and see of that fixes the problem.

TMC82 Not sure what the 04 tank looks like but the bottom o-ring on mine is the one that actuall holds the valve spring in place which would explain why you are getting a shot of gasoline. If you successfully remove it I believe you will have gas everywhere. I would empty the tank and take the whole valve off if possible.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM
tmc82
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I got it fixed. I replaced the oring in the male fitting, and the oring about midway up the female end. it appears to be holding. I'm not going to mess with the one in the bottom of the female end if I don't have to.