Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

ticking engine noise 2010 street glide

Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 AM
gator393a
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking engine noise 2010 street glide

I have recently purchased a 2010 street glide with a screaming eagle stage 2 kit. The bike runs great but I am noticing that it has a ticking noise coming from the engine that gets worse when the engine is hot. Sounds like valves ticking- is there any adjustments to the valve lash that can be made? Also noticed that the oil pressure is only about 15 psi when hot. I changed the oil and filter hoping that would help but no change. Any suggestions?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Oil pressure is fine; no worries there. The earlier models were lucky to see 5psi at hot idle. The H-D oiling system is volume based; not pressure.

As for the ticking; welcome to the H-D world. Some valve trains are noisy, some are not; some lifters bleed down, some don't; some engines are delivered with tighter tolerances than others, etc. What some refer to as "ticking",others don't even hear.

If it really bothers you, a set of adjustable pushrods and more preload on the lifter may help but so will a set of ear plugs.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
...but so will a set of ear plugs.
or a set of louder pipes.

Originally Posted by djl
If it really bothers you, a set of adjustable pushrods and more preload on the lifter may help...
That would be the way to go if the ticking is bothering you that much. Never noticed they didn't include adjustable pushrods with their stage 2 kits.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
gator393a
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice. I was a little more concerned with the oil pressure than the ticking but thought one may be causing the other. Whats the easiest way to check the valve lash or is there an easy way?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by gator393a
Also noticed that the oil pressure is only about 15 psi when hot.
At what RPM?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We hear this quite commonly from CVO 110" owners.
Usually a good lifter, set with a proper pre-load will cure it, in in fact you are hearing valve train noise.
Lifter hydrology, or better yet, lack of, is the 10 dollar word that describes what is going on.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by gator393a
Thanks for the advice. I was a little more concerned with the oil pressure than the ticking but thought one may be causing the other. Whats the easiest way to check the valve lash or is there an easy way?
No "easy" way. Pop the pushrod tube clips and expsed the pushrods. Pick a cylinder and puot the piston at TDC on the compression stroke. You should be able to rotate the pushrod but not feel any up/down movement, or any side to side movement of the pushrod in the lifter cup.

If you go that far, might as well cut the pushrods with bolt cutters and install a set of adjustables. If more preload doesn't solve the problem, one or more of the lifters is probably bleeding down when the oil temp gets up. Like Scott says, lifter hydrology; the lifter is losing it's prime at operating temperature.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM
MSCoastrider
6th Gear

Having dealt with two 103’s with the same issue. Valve noise in reference to certain rpm. Harley stock lifters are being found with rollers not square to the lifter. Also issues are being found with lifters bores not square to cams. Cam plates not aligned with bearings on inside cam side of block. Also cam plates are having issues with oil pressure relief spring checks not seated correctly. I would encourage you to pick a parts vendor you trust and make some calls and speak to their techs. I changed cams, lifters and added adjustable push rods. In reference to your oil pressure what rpm are you running while at 15 lbs. Ticking noise would be very acceptable to me in my dealings with valve noise. Millage will tell on my issue. I tolerated my noise until 12,000 on my 2012. Gave up on my 2011 and traded into the same issue on a 2012. Found Harley not very willing to help with issues. I fixed out of my own pocket to enjoy riding with the noise hurting my ears. 2k on new parts and still happy.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by MSCoastrider
Having dealt with two 103’s with the same issue. Valve noise in reference to certain rpm. Harley stock lifters are being found with rollers not square to the lifter.
The "C" lifter that replaced the "B" lifter is manufactured in Mexico. The change was a running change in late 2011, so, depending on build date, some '11s came with Cs; all '12s came with Cs. The rollers not being square, rollers pitting, and rollers failing have all been reported issues related to the C lifters. A set of CompCams 850-1 lifters is cheap and they are Delphi, so the quality is there.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
A set of CompCams 850-1 lifters is cheap and they are Delphi, so the quality is there.
Or a set of Gaterman 1023 lifters. Google 'em for more information. http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....c,60544.0.html

Not sure of the price difference between the CompCams and Gatermans.

Last edited by Weevil; 03-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ticking engine noise 2010 street glide