Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Andrews 37H in TC88? 4 Degree key Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Andrews 37H in TC88? 4 Degree key Needed?

I got a nice used set of 37H cams that I would like to use in my '06 Street Bob.

I have not gone big bore and don't plan on it for some time...only at about 18K on the bike.

I have a Tmaxx Autotuner, V&H 2-1s and a Screamin eagle backing plate with K&N.

Some of the reading I have done says that to make this cam work in my setup I should run the 4 degree advance key. I am just wanting some verification from someone with any knowledge on this.

I could probably dial in the advance with my tuner with a whole new map, but my thinking is that since it runs good now, I can use the same mapping as I have now...the degree key will do the advance for me so all i will need to do is optimize the tune with a few runs...not completely start from scratch.

Am I on the right mark here?

I ride aggressively when by myself but not really interested in setting it up for that.

The plan is to set the bike up more for touring as my new wife loves to ride and she packs the saddlebags when we go anywhere! I also run the windshield full time these days and it makes a noticeable difference in performance.

Not looking to buy another cam but more interested in using this one if it is going to work out.

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Even with the 4* advance key, the 37 will be soft on the bottom in a 88"er; you will really feel it two up and loaded. Andrews 26, maybe even the 21 for the two up situations would be a better choice. Or, pull the trigger and spend the additional $300 or so to increase displacement, deck the heads and install a .030" head gasket to boost static CR to at least 9.6 but not more than 9.8 and run the 37 straight up.

I don't think you will be happy with the 37 in two up situations but JMHO.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:29 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at the S&S 509 for my next build. I will be building a low end torque motor idle to 3500 range as I am pulling a HD sidecar.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

You need 9.8-10.0 cr, for the 37 to be effective, and the 4* sprocket is not going to make the engine believe it has that.
If you are dead-set on using that cam, we can offer this;

Bore to 98", and w/o re-surfacing the heads, we set the proper compression, via modifing the 8.5cc domes on our proprietary Wiseco pistons, to the correct compression.
JUST provided this EXACT same set-up for a client, and fellow forum member, from Longmont, Colorado.
With the cam, correct compression, and 10 additional cubic inches, you will have a lot of fun this summer.
Guaranteed.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some friends told me I should put 37's in my Bob; did quite a bit of checking and was afraid of the low end, ended up going with the 21's. What a difference, I don't ride two up at all, but can see why the 21's would be good for that.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for telling me what I don't want to hear!

I am not going big bore or touching the heads for a while...was just wanting to drop this cam in and ride.

I just recently had some electrical problems and had to replace my ECM...which is why I now have the Thunder max ECM.

I also updated to the newer stator and replaced the IPB with a Baker to avoid any future problems.

I picked up the cams for a good price and thought I may as well do them too while I was at it.

Spent too much money so no go on tearing into the top end for now.

What is a good drop in for my bike, and does anyone want to buy some 37Hs?!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrews 21 or 26's would be a nice drop in cam. I'm sure you could sell the 37's on here or EBay.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I've been running the 37s for about a year. Very happy with them, but I ride solo. They "come on" around 2500 rpm in my stock 88". Just received a 98" kit from Scott at Hillside. Hoping the weather is nice enough this coming weekend to put it together. Put them in last year in anticipation of this project.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
I am looking at the S&S 509 for my next build. I will be building a low end torque motor idle to 3500 range as I am pulling a HD sidecar.
Just tuned a set of those friday, early torque much like the stock curve but more all the way through, the bike picked up 13hp and 17 torque. Definitely changed the exhaust note as well.
I also did tune an 88 with 37's last summer, not as bad on the bottom as I would have expected but wouldn't be my first choice for a bolt in 88 for occasional 2 up

Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

When everyone describes them as "soft" on the bottom end, is this compared to stock cams or based on what you could expect from a better grind?

In the posts above, wonder if the advance key or gear would have helped out any.

Quick Reply: Andrews 37H in TC88? 4 Degree key Needed?