Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin cam crank press

Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin cam crank press

Up dates coming soon.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Silly guy. Your supposed to throw twincam cranks away when they go bad. Just ask HD...

Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
46u
Road Warrior

LOL we know better. We actually have the press done working on a good way to true them which we have a good idea. Did not have my camera with me to take pictures of it. The press gets them with in .010 or better alone. Heck that is all most as good as many HD stock cranks. LOL

Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

So what do ya do. Chuck them in a 12" lathe head and wack them with a lead hammer. Only way I can figure as center is taken by mounting outer diamiter of wheels.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I have a Rowe truing stand and no that does not work as I all ready tried. Plains right now is make a fixture to use jack screws. The Evo and older I can do but not limited to rebuild the rods, balance, true and so on. I have all I need to line lap them redo heads, bore cylinders. Only think I cannot do right now but will soon is do the pressed cranks.

You do not beat on a crank in the stand you take it out to wack them. If you do it in the stand you mess up the centers.

Here is a some of my equipment and tools. I all so have two roll around tool boxes with HD special tools. I do not like half *** doing anything. LOL

My home made press I made 40 or so years ago. It is only 12 ton and no it will not be use for pressed cranks.

Need to get off my butt and set up my lath my dad bought new way before I was born.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Wildman9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff, what year is the doaner crank you are working with?

I have never pressed a HD crank, but I do have experience pressing 2 cycle cranks. I am having a hard time understanding why the HD crank is so hard to get true. It has to be out at the rod pin, if not, then the shaft is not true to the flywheel. I assume the shaft is part of the flywheel? it is all forged as 1 piece? if so, when it is pressed apart, I would chuck it in the lathe and see that the flywheel and shaft are true to begin with. When I true a 2 cycle multi piece press fit crank, I hold the crank in one hand and whack the high spot with a dead blow hammer, then recheck. I am kinda lost on why this method won't work in this case.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wildman9
Hey Jeff, what year is the doaner crank you are working with?

I have never pressed a HD crank, but I do have experience pressing 2 cycle cranks. I am having a hard time understanding why the HD crank is so hard to get true. It has to be out at the rod pin, if not, then the shaft is not true to the flywheel. I assume the shaft is part of the flywheel? it is all forged as 1 piece? if so, when it is pressed apart, I would chuck it in the lathe and see that the flywheel and shaft are true to begin with. When I true a 2 cycle multi piece press fit crank, I hold the crank in one hand and whack the high spot with a dead blow hammer, then recheck. I am kinda lost on why this method won't work in this case.
I have all so done 15 to 20 small pressed cranks over the years but I assure you with a big Haley crank you are not going to move them with a hammer how do I know as I tried taking a 3 pound cooper hammer like I use on earlier cranks and the small cranks and knock the heck out of them and it is like hitting a steel beam. Yes the pinion and motor sprocket shaft are part of the flywheel but the crank pin is not just like small cranks.

First time we pressed the HD crank we are playing with apart we had it on my friends 50 ton press and it took around 16 tons to separated another reason why a hammer is not going to work. The later cranks are not forged but cast. Not sure what year the crank we are playing with is but it is a earlier crank that has the big splines like on the 99-06 except 06 dyna. The later model cranks the pinion shaft has to be machine to put it between centers in my case using my crank truing stand show above. The crank pin in a twin cam crank has a MUCH bigger OD then the smaller cranks.

Hope this helps you understand.

Last edited by 46u; 03-19-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Wildman9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, that does shed some light on the whole deal, from the sound of things, the press will need to be used to true it. It sure doesn't sound like there is any benefit to welding a crank for a stock engine either. Once the crank is true it would take catastrophic engine failure in a stock engine to knock it out of true.
What is the specified width between the flywheels when properly pressed together?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

yes, that does shed some light on the whole deal, from the sound of things, the press will need to be used to true it. It sure doesn't sound like there is any benefit to welding a crank for a stock engine either. Once the crank is true it would take catastrophic engine failure in a stock engine to knock it out of true.
What is the specified width between the flywheels when properly pressed together?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
46u
Road Warrior

I have not checked yet but I would think it is not width between the flywheels but how my side play you have on the rods just like the older cranks that is what I use on the earlier bolt together cranks.

I have seen easy riding people with stock motors shift the flywheels. In my opinion welding is not as important as plugging. S&S wheels are not welded but they are plugged. What else comes in the factor is with the 03 up roller bearings is how much flex there is in them no anywhere as the good as the 1955 to 2002 dual cone bearing Timken bearings. So glade mine is a 02 all so the cranks 99-02 are forged.

I am sorry to say Harley in my opinion has made many steps backwards since 03 and sure enough with the 6 speed bikes as what they have done is not better for durability but is cheaper to make them and durability is sacrifice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Twin cam crank press