Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

2005 883 carb slide issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
rodgini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 883 carb slide issue

hey everybody. got myself into a pickle. i am primarily a dirt guy and we are always rebuilding/ working on bikes in my shop. My wifes co-worker was having some issues with his 2005 883. it had a slight hesitation off idle. i'm sure it could have been cured with a quick tweak of the air screw. However, since the bike sat for a long time we decided to pull the carb off and clean it. we pulled it apart, cleaned out all the jets and passages and put it back together. We fired it back up and it idles fine but when you go to take off it dies out. i pulled the air cleaner off and fired the bike up again. the slide does not raise when you twist the throttle? i have worked on dozens of carbs but this one is different. the throttle cam is turning and returning like it should when you twist the throttle and the nozzle is spraying fuel, however the slide doesn't budge even with the throttle at half throttle. what am i missing? i felt like a real tool as dude road the bike to my house and i had to give him a ride home! thanks in advance Harley gods!

oh the bike is completely stock BTW.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rodgini
hey everybody. got myself into a pickle. i am primarily a dirt guy and we are always rebuilding/ working on bikes in my shop. My wifes co-worker was having some issues with his 2005 883. it had a slight hesitation off idle. i'm sure it could have been cured with a quick tweak of the air screw. However, since the bike sat for a long time we decided to pull the carb off and clean it. we pulled it apart, cleaned out all the jets and passages and put it back together. We fired it back up and it idles fine but when you go to take off it dies out. i pulled the air cleaner off and fired the bike up again. the slide does not raise when you twist the throttle? i have worked on dozens of carbs but this one is different. the throttle cam is turning and returning like it should when you twist the throttle and the nozzle is spraying fuel, however the slide doesn't budge even with the throttle at half throttle. what am i missing? i felt like a real tool as dude road the bike to my house and i had to give him a ride home! thanks in advance Harley gods!

oh the bike is completely stock BTW.
If the slide isn't lifting the diaphragm must be damaged. The throttle is vaccum operated...so if the rubber diaphragm (above the slide) is damaged...no vaccum and it won't open.

Open the carb and look at the diaphragm.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
rodgini
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nhrider1
If the slide isn't lifting the diaphragm must be damaged. The throttle is vaccum operated...so if the rubber diaphragm (above the slide) is damaged...no vaccum and it won't open.

Open the carb and look at the diaphragm.
thanks for the reply man. i never pulled the cap and messed with anything in the slide area? its weird as the bike was running fine before with just a slight bog off idle before. I removed the carb, pulled the bowl only, cleaned the pilot and main jets and put it back together. i did lift the slide once by hand? could that screw it up?

just to clarify. When the bike is stationary and running and i twist the throttle i should see the slide move up and down correct? If it works on vaccum then the slide wont move at all when the throttle is turned when it is not running correct? thanks again for educating me. i'm a dirt guy and the slides on dirt bikes are spring actuated. i cant imagine how i could have screwed up the diaphragm?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
rodgini
1st Gear

I might have a fuel delivery issue as well? With the carb off I just turned the petcock to with a full tank of fuel. I got no fuel coming out? Is the entire system pressured where it pulls fuel from the tank when running or does it gravity feed? Is there a filter screen in the tank? Do they clog easily? This might be my problem? Checked the diaphragm and it looked ok no visible damage.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The vacuum petcock may need attention.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
rodgini
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Hillsidecycle.com;11833943]The vacuum petcock may need attention.
Scott[/QUOTE

Should it gravity feed fuel?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 AM
rodgini
1st Gear

ok well i verified that the slide is working just fine. the bike will fire up and idle clean. as soon i put the bike in gear and try to start going it dies out. the bike will rev no problem when stationary. what the heck is causing this? could it be the vaccum petcock?