Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Exhaust System Topics (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics-57/)
-   -   Engine Upgrade Suggestions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/exhaust-system-topics/931737-engine-upgrade-suggestions.html)

thewookie 01-03-2014 01:47 PM

Engine Upgrade Suggestions

Happy New Year.

I am new to Harley and MC's in general. A couple of years ago I bought a lightly used 07 Ultra Classic with 5500 miles on it and I have now reached 10K so it's time for the 10k service.

I would like to couple an engine upgrade at the same time it's in the shop for the service. I figure I have $2K to spend.

Basically I find the bike underpowered when loaded up with the wife and stuff. Especially up hill and at altitudes you find here in the SW USA. Additionally, I may be getting one of those small motorcycle camper trailers for the occasional camping trip to one of the national parks. Nothing huge, some of my friends have them on their HD's and Wings.

Can you suggest what too look into for upgrades? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hillsidecycle.com 01-03-2014 03:03 PM

We have 107" piston/boring/gaskets/cam/etc, kits starting as low as $998.00.
Bolt togather with no fuss, and take it to a good tuner.:D
Scott

djl 01-03-2014 03:13 PM

Sounds like the dealer is going to do the work? Stage I upgrede first, replace exhaust with free flowing system; choose duals or 2:1 system like V&H Propipe and SE air filter. Purchase the SE Super Tuner and get a dyno tune. Next step is Stage 2; big bore kit to 103" with SE203 cams and dyno tune. The later model heads flow well enough for most bolt in cams like the SE203. No headwork required but Stage I or "street" porting would help; just adds $500-$600 to the total cost. For what you are doing, I would pass on head work; you can do that down the road if you find the power still lacking after the initial upgrade.This time of year some dealers are offering discounts on big bore kits. Getting upgraded to Stage 2 will chew through your $2000 budget, could run to $2500 without discounts but I think you will find it worthwhile.

You could also do this in phases. Stage I first and if you find the power lacking, open up the wallet for Stage 2. There is some economy of scale by doing both at the same time because if done in phases, you will pay to R/R exhaust, etc. twice.

Or, you could get yourself a service manual and go caveman and DIY the project and save 500-$600 and bond with your bike as the same time.

EDIT: :icon_slap:" Or you can work with Scott.:icon_goofygrin:

BVBOB 01-03-2014 07:32 PM

07 pulling a trailer, the first thing you will want to do is a 30 tooth drive sprocket

djl 01-03-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BVBOB (Post 12157601)
07 pulling a trailer, the first thing you will want to do is a 30 tooth drive sprocket

:icon_doh: Didn't think about the pulley but lower (higher numerically)gearing is such an obvious step in the right direction; power upgrades notwithstanding. IIRC, the '07 final drive ratio was bit on the tall side anyway, which may be why the OP finds the bike sluggish when two up and loaded. Great idea and not a budget buster. Stage I upgrade, a good tune and the gearing change might just put the OP where he wants and leave some cash in his pocket.

evostroker 01-03-2014 09:47 PM

I agree on the gearing change. 07 gear ratios leave a lot to be desired. You can do a 31 without a belt change, and Harley seems to have the only belt that stands up. The 30 is my preference but it requires lengthening the axle slot on the swingarm by .250 . Not exactly bolt on but not beyond what most can do in their backyard.

qtrracer 01-03-2014 10:31 PM

68t rear pulley from a jap spec sportster + the 31trans pulley, is the same as a 30x66 and uses stock belt. I did the 68t rear pulley on my 08 and kept the 32 trans pulley, uses stock belt.....barely, the wheel is allllll the way forward and helps some . Same gearing as 09-up. I would start with the 08 Jap sportster rear pulley first, then if its not enough then you can change trans pulley, heck you could even probably go 30x68 and maybe keep stock belt.

soft 02 01-03-2014 10:33 PM

S&S 124 and be done with t once and for all.

sporacer 01-04-2014 07:25 AM

107 kit and a set of cams to match your compression ratio adjustable pushrods and gaskets. $1100
You will need a tuner (tts or powervision),high flow air cleaner and a exhaust system. These will cost $1500.
Dyno tune 500
Its all about the combination.

Hillsidecycle.com 01-04-2014 10:09 AM

With a pile-o-torque build where a trailer-towing combo needs it, a gearing swap may not be needed, set-up correctly.
Scott