Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

new pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:02 AM
asylumcrew
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new pipes

Recently purchased a new Road King Customand am looking at new pipes. Do I want true duals like a Rhinehart or simply go with slip ons like a Vance and Hines Oval? Will the true duals give me more horsepower as well as sound.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 336 Posts
Default RE: new pipes

For me the V&H slipons have been great, but a pipe won't make much of a power difference unless you also increase air flow and fuel. I got 12 extra horse on the dyno with slip ons and a remap of the efi and slipons.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The true duals will offer more power, but Im talking minimal. Just as Joe said youll have to remap your fuel system to properly gain any power.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

asylumcrew I have read where there are alot of dissatifed rider's with Reinharts,they say the fit and finish is a real problem,One guy said he went through three set's before getting a decent pair,weld's cracking,chrome not finished good,tip's turning purple,I don't know but if it were me I'd stay with V&H.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 01-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

Hey man. Welcome aboard.

I am planning SE2 slipons, carb rejet and K&N filter for my Night Train (which I get in April). As the others have said pipes alone won't do much You need to richen up the a/f mixture to deal with the improved airflow.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-11-2005, 07:53 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take tn.heritage's advice,

Stick with vance and hines. I dont know about the slip ons but the vance pipes cant be beat.

David

Old 01-11-2005, 09:56 PM
TBALL
6th Gear

I put on the Screamin Eagle stage one kit (high flow air filter) had the computer re-mapped, and installed the Screamin Eagle II slip on's (nice deep sound, a little louder than stock but nothing like straight pipes, good over the long haul.) It's one of those things....you change one thing, and before you know it you want to do the rest. For me I was worried about adding a different muffler that could change the back pressure and such, so I done it all at once that way when the computer was mapped it was set correctly for the combination of things I had done. You dont want to do a computer re-map now and then latter change the air filter because it could require remapping again (140.00 at my local dealer). But my bike (05 RK) sounds great with the slip on's and gained about 10 or so HP total which is not bad considering the bike only has 60 something to begin with. Just my 2 cents.....

Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

If you change the air filter and change the back to slip ons you will see improvement over stock...most affordable way to go without replacing the headers. SEII's are good, (on my bike) as are the V&H...same goes for the intake...either way, you'll need to get it dyno tuned or at a minimum, remapped.

Mac

Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Slade
Cruiser

Millers in Daytona makes a good slip on called Wild Pig Pipes. Around $200 delivered. Running a set of the 2" baffles currently and am pleased.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Im going with the wild pigs on my RK. A guy sells factory "blems" on e-bay for 144$ any style. I know of three people that have bought them from him and none can find the "blem".

Quick Reply: new pipes