Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage 1 installed - Carb leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM
f6noob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 installed - Carb leaking gas

Hi,

I installed a A/C kit and Dynojet Jet Kit from my dealer with a V&H 2-1 on my 05 Dyna - sounds great....

However now the tuning issues are happening... I drilled out the 1/8 hole on the slide as well - and that seems to be working ok but now I have the following issues:

1. Carb farts - backfiring through the carb
2. Gas leaking out the carb when the bike is turned off
3. When accelerating - backfiring, bad performance - dead spots, etc. Poor accleration
4. Plugs look rich - very black. I replaced them and they are coming out black.

I've adjusted the idle screw - 2 1/4 turns out and the idle seems to be good.

With the dyno kit I installed the 180 jet and the stock slow is still on.

The needle that came with the kit - i put the lock washer on as directed - on the 4th groove down from the top and then placed 3 little washers on top of it.

I've replaced the diaphragm / slider thinking I had a leak in it. I am having the same problem.

I'm new to this and am now at my wit's end... i can turn the screw until I'm blue in the face - I think it's still too rich but why the gas leak?

I've removed the bottom of the carb - checked the bowl and it's sediment free - I've changed the gas as well.

I think I'm pretty close so any tips are appreciated - do I adjust float bowl - if so - how?

Do I lower or raise the needle?

I don't have a clue anymore - thanks in advance!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:39 PM
welsch721
2nd Gear
Default RE: Stage 1 installed - Carb leaking gas

try to put the e-clip on third groove instead of fourth groove still place the three washers on top of it this should lean it out some.did you just adjust the idle screw or did you adjust the idle/air mixture screw?

Old 03-31-2007, 03:52 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this a CV40 carb?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
f6noob
Intermediate

Hi,

another eventful day in my driveway....

I don't know if it is a CV40 carb - it's a 2005 FXDX Dyna Super Glide - it looks like all the pictures on the site in terms of CV carbs.

So - I moved the e-clip to the 3rd groove and went from there.

Is there a good way to put the diaphragm back in? It's a pain in the butt!!! Anyways - that's done and I hear the vacuum of the slider/diaphragm so it seems good.

It idled well - and i played with the fuel air mixture screw on the bottom of the carb and the idle screw - it was idling just fine. I took it for a ride and it was

PERFECT

absolutely the best ride I've had - around the block that is.

My Brother-in-law took it for a longer ride - openned it up - had lots of pep and didn't backfire, carb fart or anything.

So we continue to put the Air Filter on (oh yeah - my ride was with the carb exposed....) - but now the bike is nice and warm. As we are assembling the air filter... here comes the gas... i can here it gurgling and flowing up past the needle and out the carb.

It's like it's breathing - i can hear it coming - weird. So it leaks gas and I see it rising. There is a strong vacuum. I took the cap off of the gas tank and it still continued to draw gas from the float and drip out the carb.

So - any ideas now? Maybe I have to lower the float?

Other than the A/C, jetting and Pipes it's stock.

TIA

Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 AM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks like a simple failure to me.
Take off the float bowl , and take out the float-needle ( fuel valve ) , and clean it with soft cotton rag .
See if there are no dirt particles left on the needle-seat.
Be careful not to bend the metal joint of the float.

adjustment for 1340 cc EVO :
slow jet 45 , mixture screw 3 turns open
main jet 175 ,....stock needle , place 1 washer under it .
drill out the vacuüm hole with a 1/8 " bit.
Remove the metal "halve moon" from the stock filter assy.
Remove the narrow duct located right above the bottom opening, using an iron-saw blade.
Make an extra openingin the plastic back-side of the filter assy.
Replace the stock filter-element for a better K&N filter-element.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:31 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel problem sounds like the float level needs to be set or that there is dirt or something not letting the float function properly. Adjustments to the mix and idle should be done with the bike at operating temp.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
f6noob
Intermediate

Ok - the weather has been crap and I haven't been able to work on the bike. Finally another crappy day but doable. Bike is still RICH like crazy. I have the carb off - HOW do I adjust the FLOAT level? Should I lower the float so that it closes sooner? Or do I raise it so it pushes the needle up farther and closes the fuel.

I guess I'll find out when I take the bowl off - but just need some advice.

Gas is still leaking into the carb. ARRRRRRRRRGH.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
MikeyB
Tourer

I had the same problem last year after I just rebuilt the carb. The float was sticking.

MikeyB

Old 04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

answer from Holland.....
Why don't you people buy an original HD-Service Manual ?
It's all in there !
I ordered one ,..."FX / Softail models" 1993 and 1994 , official factory manual .
I recall what's on page 4-13 , about float adjustment :
Place carburator on a flat clean surface on engine manifold side.
This is the "base".
Tilt carburator counterclockwise 15 - to 20 degrees from "base" until float comes to rest . ( at this point the needle is in closing position !! )
Note : "If you tilt the carburator less than 15 degrees , or more than 20 degrees , your measurements ( adjustment ) will be incorrect.

what you also can do is this ( after adjustment ) ,....just blow in the fuel-hose and lift the float upwards ,....if it blocks the air ,....it will block the fuel for sure.
Forgive me for my bad English , but this is the best I can . Hahahaha.

regards,

Sjors.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
f6noob
Intermediate

Thanks - I ended up taking the float off (that pin was a bit of a pain to get out!!!!) and pulled the needle. It looked clean, but i cleaned it again and blew out the hole with compressed air. I put it all back together and stuck it on and idled the bike.

At this point I didn't get any gas overflowing the carb after it heated up and ran for a while. I'll put everything on securely and take it for a spin tomorrow now that the snow has melted again.

If the CARB is farting / spitting - is it too lean? I assume that'll just be idle / air screw adjustment - currently at 2 1/4 turns out.

Anyways thanks a bunch for the tips - I figure it's getting close.

The worse thing that happened while idling the bike.... my winter jacket melted onto my brand new V&H 2 in 1s. What a mess..... 20 min with a razor blade cleaned it up - I can't seem to win here! DOH DOH [sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: Stage 1 installed - Carb leaking gas