Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Flathead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/flathead-65/)
-   -   53g wl (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/flathead/1001444-53g-wl.html)

built4com4t 09-24-2014 05:25 PM

53g wl

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished rebuilding an 80FLT (see my shovelhead posts) and have come to rely on these forums as the last word on advice and technical solutions.

I have a line on this bike and curious what to offer. The motor is from a 53G servicar that runs. Frame and forks were original (years unknown) but frame was raked at the neck and forks lengthened by the last known previous owner. The current owner tore the bike down and had the frame and forks professionally put back to stock. (I know the shop here in San Jose, having had him straighten and correct several frames for me in the past. He's also one of the builders for the ack attack lsr bike, so he's no slouch.)

The current owner basically threw it back together so it is ridable.

My goal, since this is basically a mutt, is to tear it down completely and build it back into a streetable emulation of a flathead racer from the era with a reasonable front brake and 18s front and rear.

I have the victory transmission book and a line on a good norton 4-speed box, but question whether or not it's worth the effort in the long run.

Comments and suggestions welcome....mainly, a reasonable figure to offer.

frederick

johnjzjz 09-24-2014 07:10 PM

if you want a hand clutch bike than your in with a british trans - lots of them been done and thats the reason the book was written - as far as value if it does not matter to you than go for it, but even an original looking G powered WL 45 all OEM parts resto is worth 3 times what a bobber WL 45 is - but that is just me i look at the end not the want

built4com4t 09-24-2014 10:04 PM

thanks john...I like that thought. The idea is to take it back to racing trim (since I like old racers) without ruining any chance to eventually put it completely back to bone stock.

For that reason I don't care for the brit tranny and start collecting oem parts for when the time comes.

Big question is what is a reasonable offer for the thing as it sits?

johnjzjz 09-25-2014 01:20 PM

send me pictures P/M for direct e mail - if thats the case they with some cash they make wild stroker kits for them, that really wake it up even hi end racing with iron head rods 90 inches hahahahahahaha you can blow the rear tire out from under it in first on black top

built4com4t 09-25-2014 02:05 PM

thanks again

for now the photo in my post is all i've got. the owner is an old friend and wants to sell it to me because she knows I'll do a number on it, something she can't. same thing happened with a '64 ironhead motor i bought from her which I built that Psyclone board track racer emulation around.

question is what is a price range for the bike considering it's a mutt and missing a lot of the original pieces.

johnjzjz 09-25-2014 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by built4com4t (Post 13254287)
thanks again

for now the photo in my post is all i've got. the owner is an old friend and wants to sell it to me because she knows I'll do a number on it, something she can't. same thing happened with a '64 ironhead motor i bought from her which I built that Psyclone board track racer emulation around.

question is what is a price range for the bike considering it's a mutt and missing a lot of the original pieces.

they bring strong money if they are correct if not you can buy an almost correct one cheaper than trying to come up with OEM parts

the shops boardracer 1921 J police motor it was a privateer bike in the mid 20s we take it to all the antique events during the year we vend at on the east caost

built4com4t 10-02-2014 04:09 PM

well, I got it. I'm sure a lot of questions will come up as I tear into it.
One is there _any_ way to date the frame, forks and trans on these?

johnjzjz 10-02-2014 05:09 PM

tabs and holes for clips puts it into a year thing - trans no as far as i know - forks changed at the war start till the end of production in 1973

the entire bike was re done in 1936 when harley started building the war effort bike = many many changes and they did not look back - stay with the 41 and on to 73 stuff and you will be fine - i have a 42 WLD i am looking for parts as well i have all that makes a wld special and almost none of the WL stuff for it that is common

built4com4t 10-02-2014 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
thanks john...that date range helps focus in the search for parts.

is their one source better than another? i downloaded the 45 restoration co catalog...prices are heady but it seems comprehensive.

here are a couple of snaps after a good douche with engine degreaser and a power washer. first thing to do is to lose that 21 front and source 18s front and rear with a stock front brake and hub assembly.

built4com4t 10-03-2014 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last question (for now) ... this rear brake can't be right,
is it just rotated 180º with the lever flipped?