Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Looking to Pick some brains

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 AM
hobby10k
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Pick some brains

Hoping to get some opinions on a purchase that I am looking to buy.

I am looking to buy a 1946 WLC 45" flat head.

Bike has been sitting inside for the last 30 years. It is not all together. The bike is a rolling chassis, but the engine is in a box. It has a springer front. the tank is not original. I haven't looked close enough to see if the frame has been altered but I "think" by a quick glance that the frame is not altered. It is not rusty and has ok paint on it.

The engine is mostly complete, but it has not ever been started by its current owner since it was last purchased 30 years ago. The cases are intact and not cracked.

It's mainly all there but will need completely gone though, full rebuild engine and everything, and will most likely have some small pieces missing like nuts and bolts, chain, electrical, cables, carburetor, etc.

The bike is owned by my Uncle and he said to figure out what its worth so we can come up with a price. I am hoping to get some ideas on value so we can figure out a price that is fair for the both of us.

So this is for a basket case bike, that needs a full restoration, and purchasing small missing pieces.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,892 Likes on 2,549 Posts

We would like to see some pics, particularly of the VIN #. This will help a lot with evaluation. Does he have the history of the bike for the last 30 years? Did it run before it was parked or did he buy it like that?

FYI everything is getting expensive as far as parts go, especially anything that also is used on a Knuckle, headlight is a good example. If yours is missing a headlight, right one is $500 and up. Motor in pieces, could be $5k just to rebuild it and we haven't talked about the transmission. Carb is missing, another $500.

If you are serious about getting involved with this bike, the first thing I would do is invest in Bruce Palmer's two volume encyclopedia of information:

http://www.howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com/

Armed with the books you can make a much better evaluation of what is in the pile and what is correct. WLC is Canadian Army bike which had some very specific, Canadian only pieces. This may or may not make your journey more difficult. You didn't mention if you are looking to restore or turn it into a rider? That also factors in with your plans. A nice bobber will be cheaper in the long run VS getting her back to military specs.

Post up a pic or two and we can talk some more. Just using my imagination based on your description and I would be just guessing. But to get the party started, you are under $10k for sure, by a lot or a little depends on the condition and how much is there. Pics and good luck.

Last edited by Architect; 04-18-2017 at 05:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hobby10k (04-22-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 AM
hobby10k
Novice
Default Thanks will do!

I will try and get some pictures so I get post them up.

He purchased it in pieces in a box 30 years ago and planned on getting it going. He thinks the parts were pieced together but he got it up as a rolling chassis,
meaning wheels on and looking like a bike, not a totally complete rolling chassis. missing cables, chain, grips little things. Engine still in a box.

He assembled the engine, but he didn't want to fire it up without someone good checking it out first. he didn't want to blow it up if he didn't do it correctly. He said the original cases are expensive and hard to come by so didn't want to mess em up. Thats all the further he got and with not much money or time it was a fixture in his living room for 25 years and in the garage the other 5.

I would say that it needs a ground up rebuild. would need new bearings, brakes, cables, chain, paint, tires, hoses, wiring. engine and transmission completely tore down and rebuilt (I'd do it for peace of mind knowing its all good and will last)

I'm looking to get it as a ridable bobber to head into town and ride around on for short rides, and want it to get me back home. would like to take it to shows too.

I've asked for years if he'd get rid of it and he finally said ok.

I'll try and get some pictures and I'll definitely order those books.

I'm hoping it not too valuable since i'll be putting a ton of money and work into the thing. I'm getting it for fun and cool factor of owning a piece of history. I'd also keep the thing forever since it means a lot to me that it is my uncles. I do also want to give him a fair price for it too.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a nice response all typed up, and the damn server dropped out and I lost everything I just wrote. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Sorry now the condensed version:

1- If the bike has sentimental value, you will likely pay too much for it, but that is OK. Some guy you never met, you will haggle all day on the price, but your uncle, like you said look for a price that is fair for both of you.
2- Unless your uncle used to be a HD mechanic, assume the motor needs to be disassembled and gone through. Lots of guys built motors back in the day, basically just bolting up what they had on hand. My 2 cents, maybe your uncle is an excellent mechanic and all is well.
3- Transmission rebuild can be done by you, just takes lots of patience.
4- You will need to make a decision regarding original parts or reproduction. Reproduction parts are readily available and you could build an entire 45 from parts, literally. But the value will never be the same as a bike with all Milwaukee parts. One example:

http://www.45restoration.com/

Morning inspirational photo, took my 1946 Flathead out "East" last Sunday, 60 miles each way, she performed perfectly. Lots of hard work and $$$ went into having a nice ride like that, that day it all paid off.

Last edited by Architect; 04-19-2017 at 08:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hobby10k (04-22-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 PM
hobby10k
Novice

The same thing happened to me on my last response, it all got disappeared when I hit enter.

I will probably be going to his house sometime in the next couple of weeks. He actually already has that book that you mentioned in your first response (probably first edition), I emailed the author and almost bought it glad I talked to my uncle before I bought it.

I would agree that the engine needs a complete rebuild, he is not a HD mechanic and so I'd most likely take it to a HD mechanic, to have it rebuilt. I've rebuilt plenty of chevy 350's, but I don't want to risk it with something that can't be replaced.

I called the local HD shop to get an idea on labor charges for a job like that, I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't think I want to know what its going to cost.

That picture is very inspirational, Love the bike man. I absolutely love this era of HD

Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hobby10k
The same thing happened to me on my last response, it all got disappeared when I hit enter.

I will probably be going to his house sometime in the next couple of weeks. He actually already has that book that you mentioned in your first response (probably first edition), I emailed the author and almost bought it glad I talked to my uncle before I bought it.

I would agree that the engine needs a complete rebuild, he is not a HD mechanic and so I'd most likely take it to a HD mechanic, to have it rebuilt. I've rebuilt plenty of chevy 350's, but I don't want to risk it with something that can't be replaced.

I called the local HD shop to get an idea on labor charges for a job like that, I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't think I want to know what its going to cost.

That picture is very inspirational, Love the bike man. I absolutely love this era of HD
Do some research and go to a local AMCA meet by you. The dealership is most likely NOT the best place to bring that kind of motor. Unless they have an old guy still kicking around that is familiar with these motors from way back in the day, I wouldn't even bother with them. Hell they do not even want to deal with Evo's anymore. You do not want someone trying to "figure it out" on your motor, you could do that yourself. You want a guy that has successfully rebuilt dozens of them.

Lots of guys around, you just need to find them. AMCA and their network and Forum are great places to start. Good luck

Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 PM
hobby10k
Novice
Default Just got back

Ok, just got back from his place. took some rough pics.. he had it covered up and he sprayed some protective oil coating on it years ago to keep it from rusting since its in the garage now. I didn't look far enough into it to get numbers. He said maybe he was wrong and its not a WLC said maybe it is WLD, he just knows its a civilian bike and not a military issue.

so I'll post the pics I got, to see what you think.. a lot of the parts are in boxes.

He said he was thinking about $3000 range to sell it to me.

Last edited by hobby10k; 04-21-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Old 04-21-2017, 07:25 PM
hobby10k
Novice

72 ironed all I can say is wow, that is an amazing bike

Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain