Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Garage Talk scaling / landscape / portrait

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts
Default Garage Talk scaling / landscape / portrait

I thought I would give some feedback on a few annoyances with the Garage Talk app.

I am using an iPad. Yes, it has all the updates.

Garage Talk seems to be made for a phone and as a result, to get it to be bigger than a phone, I have to press the 2X / 1X button in the bottom right hand corner. No big deal really, but it still isn't quite full screen. Other apps I have scale automatically and are full screen, including the old HDForum App. Still, it is not that big of a deal to me, but it is something that could be made better simply because the previous mobile app was better in that regard.

Now the part that really annoys me. It is always in portrait. It never goes to landscape. Maybe I am doing something wrong or there is a setting somewhere. One of the reasons this us a problem is many people like me use a case with their iPad that has a stand which places the iPad horizontal. Everything works great and turns to landscape mode to facilitate this except Garage Talk. Since Garage Talk remains in portrait mode, I essentially can't use the stand when using Garage Talk. Text is also easier to read in landscape mode, particularly if it happens to be a long post. Again, this worked great on the old app but does not work at all on Garage Talk.

Yes, I know I could use a regular browser such as Safari to access the forum, but if you are going to make an app for iPads, why not make it work correctly, especially when the previous app worked fine.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and there may not be anything wrong with the app and the problem is that I have a setting wrong or something.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Garage Talk sucks. Why not use the normal browser, on an IPad?

Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,145 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Because I liked the functionality and layout of the old app. I figure if the developers are not aware of the short comings, then it will never be improved.

Then again, last major improvement we got was change from IB Autogroup app to Garage Talk, which was a huge step backwards in my opinion.

It's kind of like I tell the guys at work. I can't fix it if you don't tell me what is wrong.