Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Linked Braking System for Amputee

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:30 AM
naystcb
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linked Braking System for Amputee

Hello, I am looking for help with a project. My buddy has a 1991 Softail and has been riding forever but recently lost his right leg due to an infection and is almost rehabilitated enough to start riding again. He has major concerns and would like to still be able to use both brakes, however, with the loss of his right leg he is unable to use the foot pedal for the rear brakes. He wants me to help him set up a linked braking system so that he can actuate both the front and rear brake utilizing the front brake lever only. We have tried doing research on this and know that there is a way to do this and using a proportioning valve be able to achieve a controlled pressure ratio of say 70% front and 30% rear. Unfortunately, we have no idea how to actual set this system up or what type of proportioning valve to use. So that is why we are coming here to this forum in the hopes that someone has done something similar to their Harley and can guide us or provide us with information or perhaps instructions on how to do a setup like this. Any help is greatly appreciated and will help to get a fellow rider back on the road. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. Here in the UK we have a bike club dedicated to helping riders with a disability, named NABD and I recommend you look around for such an organisation in the USA. Your buddy is by no means the first rider to face his challenge and there are solutions out there. One I've come across is 'Disabled Motorcycle Riders', there may be others, including vets clubs.

Over here it is essential to have two separate brake systems, although that doesn't discount linked brakes. I have seen additional hand levers, also a thumb operated lever. Some of these things are even manufactured and available off the shelf, if you can find the right source!

Very best of luck.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:10 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You should find this link helpful.