Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

New Springer front end, need opinions/help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:54 PM
coma
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Springer front end, need opinions/help

Hey guys, so I was cruising fleabay, and came across a springer front end. I am building a bike and this color on the springer seemed to be just the ticket.
I ended up biding and winning the front end, and I just got it last night. The finish was not as I expected and although I emailed the guy about his description not being accurate, I'm not holding my breath for a return.
All that to say this, upon further inspection, I noticed that the front end pushed my wheel out quite a bit, I am guessing that it might have some rake on the trees?
Any one familiar with this front end that can tell me anything would be appreciated. Also anyone know the geometry of the springer front end?and what it does or doesnt do if altered? or what is correct? I wanted to bring the springer wishbone up higher, the front wishbone legs are threaded, so if I have some longer legs made and adjust to different springs? what if I swapped the bottom springs to the top and vice versa? what about the rockers, if I rotate them up I can essentially bring the wheel closer to the forks, how would that affect the geometry and ride?
I looked at a bunch of pictures of springers and the rockers position varied, some of them the axle was lower than the main fork level, others higher, is there a best practice on how the rockers are positioned?

thoughts? opinions?

Here is the pic of the front end

This one is a 16" wheel (stock heritage, will be swapping for a 21")

Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The front caliper is PM, what brand are the forks? They look very well made to me.