Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Stiffer Suspension, maybe raising it a little too?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:06 AM
ETMegabyte
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiffer Suspension, maybe raising it a little too?

I've searched through the forums, and seem to have found the exact opposite question to what I'm interested in, but not the solution to my problem.

I just recently picked up a 2005 XL1200C. Rides really nice (even if the rearview mirrors vibrate too much to be useful). The problem is that I'm a big guy, about 320 pounds. With the stock suspension at full preload (5th notch), I still bottom out occasionally when I hit a large bump when riding alone. Passengers?! Out of the question! I took a friend of mine for a ride once (she was only about 130 pounds), and on a nice easy turn, ended up scraping the (I think) screws for my pipes and we bottomed out on just about every bump...

Is there an easy (and relatively inexpensive) way to increase the stiffness of the rear shocks on a 1200 custom. If not, does anyone have suggestions as to what I should replace the stock shocks with? Should I try to raise the rear of the bike a little while I'm at it? I'm not sure how to fix this problem.

Thanks

-ET

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Stiffer Suspension, maybe raising it a little too?

going with a stiffer/better shock is probably your best option. Progressive Suspension 440's come in "heavy duty" models for folks that are above 220lbs. I don't know if they make a heavy duty model for the Sporty or not... I would get in touch with them www.progressivesuspension.com. Also, Race Tece makes great front end springs, I would assume their rear springs are just as good or better than Progressive. www.racetech.com. I would contact them directly (both companies really) for suggested product for your size, bike, riding style, etc.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to new shocks. Forget raising the bike, that'll just mess up the geometry. Once you've gotten the correct shocks for your weight and set up the correct sag with the preload adjustment, the internal damping and springs will do the rest. It'll make a world of diff.

CN

Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 PM
ETMegabyte
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

I would get in touch with them www.progressivesuspension.com. Also, Race Tece makes great front end springs, I would assume their rear springs are just as good or better than Progressive. www.racetech.com.
Uh, Yeah. They seem to have stuff that might help. However, the fact that I just bought the bike cash means I have very little cash left to do anything else with. That's why I mentioned Inexpensive.

Shocks from progressive are like $680... Racetech is like $699... Too rich for my blood...

At least I know there are options. I'll just have to deal with it for now.

-ET

Old 07-06-2007, 10:31 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ETMegabyte

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

I would get in touch with them www.progressivesuspension.com. Also, Race Tece makes great front end springs, I would assume their rear springs are just as good or better than Progressive. www.racetech.com.
Uh, Yeah. They seem to have stuff that might help. However, the fact that I just bought the bike cash means I have very little cash left to do anything else with. That's why I mentioned Inexpensive.

Shocks from progressive are like $680... Racetech is like $699... Too rich for my blood...

-ET
I know, its a bitch of an expense to get some parts for the bike, to get it set up the way you want or need it.... you can probably find below MSRP for the Progressive's, but I doubt you will on the Race Tech's (maybe, I don't know). Unfortuneatly, I think cheap = cheap when it comes to a lot of this stuff. You are better off saving up your pennies and getting it right the first time, or you will end up spending more money in the long run.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ETMegabyte

-ET
Here's a pair of Progressive 412's which not quite as good as the 440's, still way better than stock. I have read where some prefer the 412's to the 440's claiming the 440's aren't much different than the 412's at over double the price. The shocks in this link are standard lenght 11.5" Chromeand are the Heavy Duty ones. #412-4011C
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Progr...mZ130126302068

Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Progressive 412's, heavy duty version, for $189 w/free ship - from a forum sponsor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16850/D61D35033B6C457E8549FFD6667A115E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06FXDBI

Progressive 412's, heavy duty version, for $189 w/free ship - from a forum sponsor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16850/D61D35033B6C457E8549FFD6667A115E.jpg[/IMG]
Here's the link for the above postfor the forum sponsered 412's . Sorry about that didn't see them on Ebay. I always try to buy from a forum sponser. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROGR...QQcmdZViewItem