Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front rotors warped

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:16 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Front rotors warped

So the front rotors are warped and dealer won't warranty as he says "they aren't out of specs"?cant see how they are warped but in specs. Anyway I am reasonably mechanically adept, but not sure if I want to pull my wheel to change the rotors. How big a job is this? If I do it I may as well replace wheel bearings also as long as the wheel is off correct? Bike is a 2014 ultra classic and has 10,000 miles on it.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

The spec for the rotors was .008 for the rotors on my 2009. For some reason I went thru 6 sets of rotors on that bike. No one could ever figure out why. I wasn't hard on the brakes. I can tell you that you can feel warped rotors that will be out less than .008". I also have a 2014 FLHTK and have not had any problem with the rotors. The front rotors are floating rotors. You could check to see if they are working/floating correctly. If you do decide to change the rotors it's recommended that you use new rotor bolts. It should not be too difficult a job. Wheel bearings would require a special tool to remove/pull & replace/press the bearing. Maybe a trip to another dealer might get different results.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Easy job. Do the pads too of course. Caliper rebuild kits is also cheap so if they look grimy you may want to do that as well (you will have to bleed them of course - a consideration with ABS). Bearings are easy too but the right puller/installer is a very good idea. When you get the wheel off, turn the bearings with your finger, you will know if you should change them or not (or just go ahead and do them too).

Certainly a job a home mechanic can perform.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:35 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Just so you know, Harley doesn't sell rebuild kits for Brembo calipers.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts
Default Me too

I'm in the same boat as the op. Picked up a used 08 Serk in march...after taking delivery and driving it a few times it was pretty obvious that the front rotors were warped. At first I thought it was just the abs...never had a bike with it so I thought maybe that was it. But it was like riding a pogo stick when coming to a stop at around 10 mph...I'd have to back off on the front brake completely. So back to the dealer and have it fixed under the wonderful 90 day warranty. Heard the same story...not out of spec so they're not replacing them...I said did you try to ride it? Service manager says nope...I said well you should...he then says, well as those old harleys all do that...real nice to hear after I spent 16k on my new "old" harley. After trying to press him further his next statement was ,even if we fix it it's going to do the same thing...??? What??? I said so you sell rotors that are pre- warped??? Lol...needless to say that I won't give them any more of my money. If I'd have thought of it then I would have insisted that they provide that in writing in case you get in an accident you can add them to your lawsuit...that may change their minds

Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Kenny ... there are three "specs" to consider ... minimum thickness ... variation in parallelism ... and run-out ...If you're getting a pulsation you've exceeded one of the parameters and that one would NOT be minimum thickness. I'd stop back and have a conversation :>(

Old 07-24-2017, 08:30 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

I plan on talking to the service people again. If no satisfaction a call to Milwaukee may be in order.