Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front brake upgrade on Softail

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Luckyruby4
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake upgrade on Softail

I am changing my wifes Softail to a twin disc front end, she is small and finds that it does not like to stop quickly, (I will post how I do it once its completed), but I need some advice about Disc size and Disc Type, i.e. to Float or not to?

Seeing I am in need of new discs and I have seen that Arlen Ness makes a 14" Front disc kit, it has a Caliper adaptor, and a large Disc,.

The price seems reasonable, $281.96 each side (ok its a little expensive) does anyone have any experience in using a larger diameter disc? I have read it is supposed to improve braking by ~ 30%, but I would like to know what others have experienced.

On another note, would I be better to go with STD size Floating Disc? These also add up in cost a fair bit, but I want this bike to Stop fast, which is why we are converting it to Twin Disc.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

So you are working on a Softail, that narrows our guess as to what you are working on to about 34 model years...

Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Look into the Arlen Ness Big Brake kit. It's a large diameter rotor that replaces the stock one using a simple bracket. After I put one on my Dyna the braking was so vastly improved I shelved the idea of a dual rotor upgrade. Don't know if they make it for your bike, but mine cost under $170.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Tell us what model and year her bike is, as there have been changes over the years. IMHO twin floating stock size rotors with stock calipers, but braided lines and aftermarket pads should be a good base to start from. By all means use larger than stock rotors, but I would be wary of custom-style calipers, as the brand I used were not very reliable - worked fine when fresh, but quickly went down hill.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Arlen Ness Big Brake kit and Lyndall X-treme pads. No more need for dual disc on mine. Stops on a dime, and gives 6¢ change.

Attached Thumbnails Front brake upgrade on Softail-20171001_181528.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Luckyruby4 (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM
Luckyruby4
5th Gear

Hi All, its a 2014 Soft Tail Delux, so to fill you in I have fitted the sliders from a 2013 Road King, I have a Road King front hub that I am going to lace into her original 16 inch rim so it will hold the duel discs.

I have bought Brembo Front Calipers from a Road King so they match the mounts on the sliders and I am going to try the larger Diameter Disc,s I am hoping the extra Braking they give will allow me to stick with the same size Front Master cylinder.

I am not sure if I will be able to move enough fluid with the Std single disc Mater Cylinder to push 2 Calipers, but I will let you know.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Luckyruby4
5th Gear

Oh by the way Not E'nuff Harley, your front Disc looks really cool, thanks for the photo.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Luckyruby4
.....I am hoping the extra Braking they give will allow me to stick with the same size Front Master cylinder.

I am not sure if I will be able to move enough fluid with the Std single disc Mater Cylinder to push 2 Calipers, but I will let you know.
It's easy enough to swap over to the larger ID twin rotor master cylinder. They look the same on the outside, so once installed nobody will know! I've never tried a twin rotor set-up with a single-rotor master cylinder, but being an engineer I would just do the swap as part of the conversion.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:48 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyruby4
Hi All, its a 2014 Soft Tail Delux, so to fill you in I have fitted the sliders from a 2013 Road King, I have a Road King front hub that I am going to lace into her original 16 inch rim so it will hold the duel discs.
FWIW, you should find that the both rotors won't line-up properly with the calipers using a "Touring" hub on an FL Softail (even with Touring Sliders)

FL Softails have slightly narrower Fork Tube Centers than "Touring"

...unless you have done some modding

Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Luckyruby4
5th Gear

Hi multihdrdr, thanks for this, I will check and maybe need to do a bit of machining, Ill let you know how it works.

Quick Reply: Front brake upgrade on Softail