Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rear Brake Rebuild - 1990 FLHTP

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM
kflohrit
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Rebuild - 1990 FLHTP

Hey everyone,
I just joined the forum and the Harley ownership club... My grandfather gave me his 1990 FLHTP due to health reasons plus he's 75 years old now and it's a bit of a handful for him to ride. I've been having issues finding parts for it and really want to keep it as original as possible, primarily for sentimental reasons.

So, for the reason I posted in here... The rear brakes started sticking to the point where it had to be trailered if it was going to be ridden more than a mile. I finally had a chance to take it apart and see that the pads were fine, but the seals were shot. I ordered what I thought was the right rebuild kit, but when I was putting it back together, the piston and seals were too small. The packaging said it was for an 84-99 and then named off difference models (which included the Evo). Anytime I search for parts, FLHTP is not an option. What is the model I could use to search for parts? Also, does anyone know a good place to look for older bike parts? I want to rehab this bike but would like to use as many original parts as possible...or at least keep it looking original...

Last edited by kflohrit; 11-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

1990 FLHS here, owned from new. Welcome to HDF from the UK. You will find difficulty getting genuine spare parts, however there is a plentiful supply of aftermarket stuff. To identify the correct original part numbers, check on-line here. The Touring bikes use a different rear caliper to most of the other bikes, which explains the wrong fitment you have there.

Your bike is an Evo and I recommend you call into the Evo section, where you will find plenty of fellow owners and also support. Ask your Dad if he has the FSM and owners manuals, as you will find them helpful.

The following users liked this post:
kflohrit (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 AM
SuperTrapp
Former Sponsor
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Rebuild kits are sold in different piston sizes. To know which one you need, measure the diameter of your piston.
Generally a rebuild will get it back working right as the metal does not change much over time.
On an old caliper, it may be a good idea to hone out the bores with 000 emery cloth and inspect for pitting when rebuilding.

The following users liked this post:
kflohrit (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM
kflohrit
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
1990 FLHS here, owned from new. Welcome to HDF from the UK. You will find difficulty getting genuine spare parts, however there is a plentiful supply of aftermarket stuff. To identify the correct original part numbers, check on-line here. The Touring bikes use a different rear caliper to most of the other bikes, which explains the wrong fitment you have there.

Your bike is an Evo and I recommend you call into the Evo section, where you will find plenty of fellow owners and also support. Ask your Dad if he has the FSM and owners manuals, as you will find them helpful.
So I looked at the link and went through the steps to find the parts... However, the part number it gives me is what I received, minus the "A" at the end. Does the "A" determine the difference in the diameter? I've included a screen shot of what I've ordered and what the database says I should order.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Brake Rebuild - 1990 FLHTP-brake-reference.jpg   Rear Brake Rebuild - 1990 FLHTP-ebay-brake.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The significance of the A, if it is a genuine Harley part, can be as simple as a change of supplier, or a design change of some sort, which doesn't affect it's use. It won't affect the size or suitability.

Your picture shows the correct caliper, same as mine, so if the parts don't fit, that suggests an error of some sort in the supply chain. You seem to have done everything right!

Old 11-21-2017, 12:18 PM
SuperTrapp
Former Sponsor
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yours is a Police model, FLHT"P" as indicated by the P. It may be that the Police models used different/better brakes then the civilian version of FLHT?
For info on what was installed stock, you may want to look for a FLHTP supplemental service manual like this one here; https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Harley...-/381450340435