Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Need ricor intimidator help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Need ricor intimidator help

I used the recommended amount of oil as per, ricors direction, with is a little UNDER 3/4 CUP oil shock oil per 49mm fork??? now I have the 49mm intimidators, as well as a set of Race Craft 1.0kg springs, so I cleaned out each fork, pulled off bike, did it right, added level of oil, but doesn't seem to go OVER the intimidator, which was the extremely VAUGE response I got from guy after having tubes off for 2 weeks and emails/calls etc...so I built them as per instructions, he said as. long as oil is over the riCors??? well that would of helped me 3 weeks ago!!!..I hope I dont have to pull apart this whole front end to add oil, that would really SUCK!!!!now I did what Jon told me, but he doesn't answer questions, and leaves you in the dark BIG TIME...so last I spoke out of 6 times trying to get in touch with him on these 240$ intimidators, which are not impressive at all, he said the oil should be over the intimidators,

Now heres the problem I installed oil, than new spring, than perfect cut spacer race craft supplied, so I did it all by the book, but the oil doesn't go over the intimidator, now, im not sure when I put on bike, as I have a Rocker C, and theres some good rake up there, if it went over but after 3 weeks, and no responses, I built with the little info I was given, NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL????? Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this, bikes still in air, as im doing aHUGE WINTER MAKEOVER, so im not sure when I depress front brake etc, if oil will then flow over, level out etc....does that little oil sound right, and I called my order in and talked to him, he sold me 2 quarts of oil, 3/4 a cup per shock, and I still have half of one bottle? so im looking for a little help, I dont want to log in these 300 winter hours of work, get out there, and theres not enough oil, im hoping I did right

any input would put my mind to ease , thankyou, happy holidays guys n gals!!!

Tomy

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 12-18-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:38 PM
04 SE DEUCE
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't see why the oil level would be much different with Intiminators than stock or any other speed sensitive valve other then accounting for the volume of oil the valve itself displaces. I don't have a copy of the instructions so clueless as to what the oil level spec is. If the spec'd oil level is low the only reason I would speculate as to why would be to make the air spring less progressive. Still the valve has to be covered with oil.

Ricor Intiminators were originally designed to be a crutch/band aid for soft oem fork springs. As a results they are restrictive/harsh in regards to damping, especially when used with proper/stiffer fork spring rate. There was a person (Jason/fabrik8r?) IIRC that was modifying the Intiminators to make them less restrictive, more supple. Even with his mods I still got several message on another tech forum were I try to answer/help with basic suspension questions. Twice I was contacted by the current and previous owners of the same set of modded Intiminators, all said the same thing....too harsh.

This forum seems to have developed a fetish/need to use Intiminators with all springs/rates even though compatibility with proper spring rate is not good. This wouldn't be such an issue if they were adjustable, last I talked to Dave at Ricor several years back the Intiminators are offered in 2 fixed settings (180 & 280lb rider) for large displacement bikes and specific hardware is chosen to make them semi-tamper proof.

The Rocker has a fair amount of rake and can benefit from a more supple valve.

Intiminators for smaller displacement bikes that are used on 650 twin road racers etc. are sold exclusively through a different vender and are adjustable with standard hardware and have had sufficient R&D to be well sorted.

A better choice would have been to purchase the Race Tech spring/emulator kit that can be found for approx. $180 on ebay and amazon.

The gold valve emulators are adjustable and when set-up properly are a good match for a heavy cruiser.

Last edited by 04 SE DEUCE; 12-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vchacon (05-05-2018)