Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

09 iron 883n front brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM
iron09
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 09 iron 883n front brake issue

hey everybody, never been a member of any type of forum im just the guy that reads learns and applies. but this past week i've hit a pretty confusing snag. so i signed up and joined to get some input if yall dont mind. i recently bought a 09 883n that was in a front end crash. not a big deal i know how to use a wrench. i have everything done on the bike i just cant seem to get the front brakes to build pressure. heres what ive done; bled the brakes- pump the brakes hold the lever open the valve releasing bubbles and dirty fluid then close the valve and release lever. rinse and repeat (did this quite a lot, finished an entire bottle of dot 4) didnt work. pulled the calipers off disassembled and cleaned, didnt rebuild because o-rings and pistons were in tip top shape (that is my next task, i just hate shotgunning parts at a project). so with the cap off the top i noticed there was no fluid being 'shot back out' when i pumped the lever. so i bought a rebuild kit for the cylinder (i think thats what is called, spring, shaft, two rubber bushings and a c clip and washer) that had minimum effect. i dont think theres really much else i can do besides replace the piston and seal in the caliper. no leaks anywhere. so i figured id ask to see if you guys have been through this or have heard of it or have a solution. thanks in advance. i dont know how these posts work so ill probably end up cross posting. sry about it. fng here lol​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​